WWI USMC CANTEEN

I picked this up at a local flea market where it was mixed in with some Boy Scout items. I thought the cover was civilian, with an add-on US stamp. However, when I pulled the canteen out, I was pleased to see some trench art.

post-203-0-95471500-1400888761.jpeg

post-203-0-27329100-1400888776.jpeg

I believe the canteen was used by PVT Randell Curry, who served with Company K, 13th Marines.

post-203-0-51955900-1400888863.jpeg

Thanks for looking! Am I right about the cover being civilian? It has seams on the sides, not running down the back.

BigJohn#3RD

I know this is a shot in the dark but it might just as well be a overseas contract. Still great addition to the collection.

BigJohn#3RD

Looks like your guy to PI in July and from there straight overseas than back to the States in August and Discharged on the 8th of August 1919

Name: Randall D Curry Muster Date: Sep 1918 Enlistment Date: 11 Jul 1918 Rank: Private Station: Company ''K'' Third Battalion Thirteenth Regiment

Name: Randall D Curry Muster Date: Jul 1919 Enlistment Date: 11 Jul 1918 Rank: Private Station: 'Company ''K'', 13th Regiment, American Expeditionary Forces, France

Name: Randall D Curry Muster Date: Aug 1919 Enlistment Date: 11 Jul 1918 Rank: Private Station: 140th Casual Company, Marine Barracks, Quantico, Virginia

Curious though that there is no mention of character

I stand corrected the first page in August list him as 9th dis * CG. Ch Ex and the last page was 8 Aug 1920 (which I assume means in was no longer in the reserve forces)

RustyCanteen

That is a really nice canteen.

Your suspicions about the cover are correct. The male portion of the snaps should be aluminum, and the female snap black painted steel. The belt hook webbing is probably very flimsy too?

That is a really nice canteen.

Your suspicions about the cover are correct. The male portion of the snaps should be aluminum, and the female snap black painted steel. The belt hook webbing is probably very flimsy too?

RC,

It appears to me that both the male and female portions are brass. The hanger looks OK, maybe thinner wire? Also the cover is lined like a regular issue canteen cover.

post-203-0-56650900-1400897627.jpeg

post-203-0-30729100-1400897628.jpeg

post-203-0-99962900-1400897626.jpeg

Looks like your guy to PI in July and from there straight overseas than back to the States in August and Discharged on the 8th of August 1919

Name: Randall D Curry Muster Date: Sep 1918 Enlistment Date: 11 Jul 1918 Rank: Private Station: Company ''K'' Third Battalion Thirteenth Regiment

Name: Randall D Curry Muster Date: Jul 1919 Enlistment Date: 11 Jul 1918 Rank: Private Station: 'Company ''K'', 13th Regiment, American Expeditionary Forces, France

Name: Randall D Curry Muster Date: Aug 1919 Enlistment Date: 11 Jul 1918 Rank: Private Station: 140th Casual Company, Marine Barracks, Quantico, Virginia

Curious though that there is no mention of character

I stand corrected the first page in August list him as 9th dis * CG. Ch Ex and the last page was 8 Aug 1920 (which I assume means in was no longer in the reserve forces)

John, Thanks for the info!

Neat find, gotta love surprises like this

Thanks Brig! I think I am going to use it as part of my display for the local VA hospital's USMC birthday celebration.

Nice canteen! but I am pretty sure the cover is just civilian.

-Dave

As I mentioned before, it was with some older BSA equipment, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the cover was made for the civilian market.

Thanks for all the comments!

• 5 years later...

I sold this canteen awhile ago, but don't remember to whom. Recently, I ran across additional information on the vet and am posting it here just in case the new owner happens upon this thread. He participated in the Meuse Argonne campaign and was wounded on November 1, 1918.

post-203-0-88844600-1567603685.jpg