11th A/B Veteran's Canopy ASSY DWG NO 6510-1

17thairborne

17thairborne

A friend of mine contacted me and said he had his brother's silk parachute from the Pacific Theater of Operations. A week later a very clean canopy without shroud lines showed up. This was in his brother's attic for a very long time and was well preserved. I am puzzled as it is an AN 6510-1 which I understand to be an aircrew 24' chute and not a troop parachute. Perhaps he wanted a memento of his time in the 11th A/B and took a chute from elsewhere. Were these perhaps used in the reserve? I understand the reserve should be a 43G14990.

The veteran's name is Bill W. Harris, entered service in 1944. perhaps someone has an 11th A/B roster from 45. I have just sent off for his records from St. Louis for the family who has no info on his wartime service and would like to know more.

Thanks

post-15065-0-86702200-1400853743.jpg

Rakkasan187

I will check my 11th Airborne rosters when I get home, but I am sure before I get home someone may have helped you..

Leigh

Rakkasan187

Check the rosters that I have, Did not find Bill W Harris, Found William F, 511th, William P, 187th, William L, 187th, William M, 503rd,

Will continue to search for you..

Leigh

17thairborne

Leigh,

Thanks for the research. The brother who entered service was much older than my friend, and he died early, and no family records are available. They thought he entered earlier than 44 and might also have been under the name Benjamin W. Harris. They are fairly certain he was in the PTO. but then mentioned a patch with an eagle (101st). Very confusing to me, hope I'm not on a goose chase. The fact that the living brother is from the neighboring county, and they did live in QUay county makes it more likely to me. I'll ask some more questions.

oz

WWII Parachutist
The canopy should either be 42G2001 or the number you stated, 43G14990. It is very odd that the canopy's drawing number is stamped 6510-1, as it is not even the drawing number for a canopy - its simply the designation for the entire 24' AAF seat pack assembly. The J.G. Menihan Corporation was a smaller manufacturer and is rarely seen.

The PTO generally had a harder time replacing parachute equipment, and would use whatever they could get their hands on. The 24' canopies are virtually identical and the only difference is the nomenclature, so it would be acceptable to use any of the 24' canopies if necessary. Generally switches like that were accomplished at the depot level.

17thairborne

The canopy should either be 42G2001 or the number you stated, 43G14990. It is very odd that the canopy's drawing number is stamped 6510-1, as it is not even the drawing number for a canopy - its simply the designation for the entire 24' AAF seat pack assembly. The J.G. Menihan Corporation was a smaller manufacturer and is rarely seen.
The PTO generally had a harder time replacing parachute equipment, and would use whatever they could get their hands on. The 24' canopies are virtually identical and the only difference is the nomenclature, so it would be acceptable to use any of the 24' canopies if necessary. Generally switches like that were accomplished at the depot level.

I thought that was strange also. What you say makes sense for a 24' reserve which was less important than the 28' main. Without the specific recollections of the vet, I'll never know. Still a nice artifact from the PTO. Just need to find more data on Harris.

17thairborne

Oz,

I will continue to look under other names..

Leigh

Leigh,

Thanks very much. In the meanwhile, I sent off for Harris' records from St. Louis. Its been a while since I've sent for an, not sure how long it is now taking, or how much. I've heard $60 and 5-8 weeks!

Rakkasan187

Oz,

It could be as little as 2-3 weeks and depending on what they find maybe less, like $25.00. Hopefully they will have some information for you, even a final pay voucher holds some details..

Leigh