Early USAF Flight Nurse transition wings.

rustywings

rustywings

The transition period from U.S. A.A.F. to U.S.A.F. brought subtle changes to Flight Nurse wings. This combined bullion Flight Nurse wing and ribbon bar is an interesting early U.S.A.F. piece:

IMG_5262.JPG

rustywings

Note the use of blue thread to highlight the letter "N" in this early 1950's one piece attachment.

IMG_5264.JPG

rustywings

Here's an image of the back of the combined Flight Nurse wing and ribbon bar. Thin metal stiffeners were sewn into the badge to help maintain its shape and provide a base for the clutch-back attachments.

IMG_5265.JPG

rustywings

This "Vanguard, N.Y." hallmarked transition Flight Nurse badge introduced a short-lived blue enamel "N" to the caduceus.

IMG_5256.JPG

rustywings

Very similar to the L.G. Balfour design, this sterling Vanguard example also made use of rivets to attach the letter "N" to the badge.

IMG_5260.JPG

rustywings

Here's an early blue and silver embroidered U.S.A.F. Flight Nurse example with a WWII style brown letter "N" sewn into the wing.

IMG_5254.JPG

Beautiful pieces Russ. I've always loved the medical wings from the AAF and it's interesting to see the transition to the USAF pieces before they switched to the newer design for nurses. I'd seen the Vanguard wings before but the bullion wings on blue are new to me and gorgeous. As always it's nice to see what you have stored up in that collection of yours. Hopefully you will continue to share more of it.

Not a flight nurse, but I've shown this picture of a USAF flight surgeon before. Clearly he is wearing the Balfour/Vanguard pattern of flight surgeon wing that is of the same pattern as the flight nurse.

post-1519-0-53603100-1400860792.jpg

I'd never seen a flight nurse with blue enamel that is one sweet wing! The blue sets off with the sterling patina very nicely, congrats and thanks for sharing.

rustywings

Thank you Bob, Kat, John, Patrick and Mike for your kind responses.

I believe this "OFFICERS - MADISON, N.J." hallmarked USAF Flight Nurse badge may be one of the earliest of the newly formed Air Force wings. It's kind of a different design with both feathers and small berries found in the shoulders of the wings.

IMG_5280.JPG

rustywings

Here's a comparison shot of the early "OFFICERS" hallmarked badge and a more recent "VANGUARD" hallmarked Flight Nurse badge.

IMG_5284.JPG

Patchcollector

Very nice examples of some seldom seen pieces.I like how the bullion wing and ribbons are integrated into one pice,and the blue "N" really catches the eye on the wing in post #4.

Nice comparison shot of the USAF Flight Nurse badges too,I like the older example myself.

• 1 month later...

Great wings! Does anyone know the exact transition date between the World War Two design and the shield-shaped design? I think the flight surgeon and flight nurse wings switched to the shield shape at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...

Some comments and clarifications about the USAF "transition" Flight Nurse Wings. This WW2 design wing in gold and enamel "N", if earned before 1947, would have been authorized for wear on the USAF Blue and Silver Tan uniforms until an approved USAF design became available. There is no denying that the silver wing with blue "N" was worn, either in metal or silver bullion. It just wasn't an officially approved wing. I am a long time Balfour collector, and have most often found this wing in late 1940's early 1950's salesman's sample cases. Some times the are found with a 1-B mark on the reverse.

Although I can not find a definitive date when the USAF Flight Nurse Wing was authorized, I have found a hint or two in an early Military Specification - Amendment 1 (1948) to MIL-B-10955B. Only the basic wing was authorized, and only in the smaller, 2 inch size. Senior and Chief Flight Nurse Wings, 2 inch size only, were first listed in AF Manual 35-10, 26 June 1968. Full size (3 inch) wings were first authorized in 1979. I purchased my set of full size wings in the Edwards AFB Clothing Sales in 1980. The following info was on the cards they were attached to. Contract Number DLA100-79-M-U507 A-9/79, and they are marked 1/20 SILVER FILLED / KREW G-I. In a following post, will show some early varieties of the USAF Flight Nurse Wing

EARLY USAF FLIGHT NURSE WINGS: All three wings depicted are 2 inch.

TOP: Pin Back, Sterling - AUG.C.FRANK CO. / PHILA. Notice the horizontal lines behind the central design on the shield. These lines are unique to USAF insignia made by the Frank Co.

MIDDLE: Pin Back, Sterling - GEMSCO / A.G.O. G-2

BOTTOM: Clutch Back, Sterling - (M/22) / N.S. EMYER INC. / NEW YORK - N.S. Meyer was the prime supplier of USAF Insignia to the Base Exchange System. In fact, sterling insignia were available for purchase in the BX for several years after issue sterling insignia were no longer available.

post-14361-0-77821900-1404336899.jpg

post-14361-0-31732600-1404336922.jpg

I purchased my set of full size wings in the Edwards AFB Clothing Sales in 1980. The following info was on the cards they were attached to. Contract Number DLA100-79-M-U507 A-9/79, and they are marked 1/20 SILVER FILLED / KREW G-I. In a following post, will show some early varieties of the USAF Flight Nurse Wing

Interesting! I thought 1/20 SF badges disappeared in 1975 (as mentionned in Mike Tucker's book about CIBs).

What would be the exact date then?

Moreover, did the transition from Sterling to 1/20 SF happen in 1968 as I thought?

We are wrapping up vol 2 of Yankee Air Pirates, which will deal with badges and insignia in the last chapter, and we want to get it right ;)

My reference data base is incomplete and sporadic, but I have some info that may be helpful.

PARARESCUE QUALIFICATION BADGE:

MIL-B-3628 / 50 - 6 SEP 1967 - Material - Sterling Silver

MIL-B-3628 / 50A - 11 JUL 1968 - Material - Unknown, do not have a copy of the document

MIL-B-3628 / 50B - 31 OCT 1969 - Material - 1/20 Silver Filled (Front Only)

MIL-B-3628 / 50C - 10 FEB 1988 - Material - Silver Plated, Oxidized, Relieved, Satin Finish

AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER QUALIFICATION BADGE

Contract DSA100-77-C-0386 A-8/77 - Reverse Marked - 1/20 SILVER FILLED / KREW G-1

MASTER & SENIOR AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER BADGES

Contract DSA100-76-M-V033 A-7/76 - Reverse Marked - 1/20 SILVER FILLED / KREW G-1

These dates vary from badge to badge, and are no means definitive.

I might add that Government Issue Badges in Sterling were available in USAF Clothing Sales into the early Eighties. I can recall buying Sterling Badges at Anderson, Hickam, Norton, Edwards, Offutt, Wright-Patterson, etc. in this time frame.

Thank you Cookieman for the shared research and additional early Flight Nurse examples. I would consider your post-war Augustine C. Frank hallmarked Flight Nurse badge a more rare and tougher wing to find than many WWII era Flight Nurse wings.

The early transitional full size Flight Surgeon badges with "Aug. C. Frank Co." hallmarks are also a difficult example to find. Note how this one-piece "Frank" hallmarked Chief Flight Surgeon badge used a star & wreath, instead of a smaller star & banner, to denote "Chief" rating. Like the Flight Nurse example Cookieman posted above, this badge also features

horizontal lines on the shield.

IMG_5476.JPG

Here's an example of the 1979 authorized 3 inch Chief Flight Nurse badge. Note the star & banner, instead of star & wreath...

IMG_5471.JPG