8th Airforce Artwork to be preserved in England

king802

Garandomatic

Excellent. Was just looking at the National Geographic article on the 8th from back in 1994. If I ever get to go to blighty, I'm going to see the Eagle pub in Cambridge.

doinworkinvans

fantastic news!!!

notice they are still teaching their young ones about proper history......

Excellent. Was just looking at the National Geographic article on the 8th from back in 1994. If I ever get to go to blighty, I'm going to see the Eagle pub in Cambridge.

The Eagle pub is very good. Spent time in their while doing my training at Bassingbourn (Home to the 91st Bomb Group).

Rich

That's one of the strengths of this island nation of ours. We have a very strong sense of history and its preservation, either by large national or governmental organizations or smaller dedicated groups of well-motivated private enthusiasts, as here. Long may it remain so!

AAF_Collection

That's one of the strengths of this island nation of ours. We have a very strong sense of history and its preservation, either by large national or governmental organizations or smaller dedicated groups of well-motivated private enthusiasts, as here. Long may it remain so!

Hi Ian,

Hope you are keeping well?. While I think the project which started this thread is great, I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree about the UK's sense of preservation.

On the whole national government couldn't care less about preservation-especially when it comes to WWII sites, and the individuals and small groups of enthusiasts are getting older, with few youngsters wishing to become involved.

None of the surviving USAAF wall art has statutory protection, and most exists only through the goodwill of private owners.

Then we have the national museums, RAFM, IWM, FAA and so on, under funded, under staffed and facing the possibility of further cuts.

I'm sorry to come across as so negative, but the state of historic preservation in the UK is not as rosie as it might appear.

Matt.

I hear what you say Matt, but I'm thinking of the bigger picture. The National Trust, CADW, English Heritage etc., all do sterling work on a national level. We have some of the world's finest museums and historical sites etc. Our long and illustrious history is what attracts many overseas visitors to our shores and it is something to be proud of. However, we represent a "special interest" group. We would like to see every WW2 pill-box, airfield and other installations etc., preserved for posterity but it's an unrealistic goal, especially in these times of economic austerity when government...whether local or national...has to prioritise its spending. Thus, decaying control towers are, of necessity, way down the list of priorities. That's when keen groups of enthusiasts, such as the one in the accompanying article, come into their own. I'll be off to Normandy again on June 2nd for the 70th Anniversary celebrations. As I've visited Normandy over the years I have witnessed a steady deterioration in the state of the former German defences along the coastline, largely due to natural erosion of the dunes etc. Some bunkers have actually virtually "toppled over"! I've queried this state of affairs...why does the national French government or the local Normandy government not intervene in order to stabilise this process and preserve these historic structures? The answer, as always, is lack of funding. So you see, we are not alone in this.

Ian

AAF_Collection

Very true Ian, without EH, Cadw, the NT and so on the historic environment would be very much the poorer, and unfortunately the economy does play a large part in what is preserved, recorded or lost.

As you know I do have some involvement in the heritage sector, and things both and present, and looking ahead are not good. Planning laws are being relaxed, no scratch that, have been relaxed to such an extent that virtually nothing is safe from development, fewer young people are seeking careers in heritage (who can blame them, the pay is poor, and jobs hard to find).

I do agree we have a rich history which it's important to preserve and promote, but it's not as safe as it should be.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any "preserving" whatsoever in the article. I see mitigation going on. In preservation terms, mitigation is the recording and documenting historic properties, not their preservation. You have to read between the lines sometimes and here, I don't see any move to physically preserve the art. Half a million in a study does not go far. I don't hold too much faith yet that whatever is left on these airfields can be saved. RAF Watton was completely obliterated only a couple years ago to clear room for a subdivision and that was a top-notch pre-WWII airfield complete with beautiful brick Fairmile C hangers and officers's and NCO messes in great shape. Nope, that didn't stop "progress" unfortunately. I was stunned that the British allowed that to happen. I thought something like that only happened in the US.

-Ski