WW2 D-Day Ranger gear question

GITom1944

Here's a pic of Lt. Robert Edlin of the 2nd Ranger Bn. boarding an LCA in Weymouth Harbor. Does anyone know what the thing is that is tucked in his meatcan pouch? It looks like a braided leather loop on a blackjack but perhaps it is a piece of gear I'm not familiar with. As an aside the Ranger on the left is the only guy I've ever seen with his web chinstrap fastened over the front of his helmet.

Tom

post-2064-0-80468700-1400800613.jpg

Screamingeagles101

I've seen other photos, where the chinstraps are strapped around the front of the helmet. I actually have one that the chinstraps reach all the way around the front. As far as the gear in the pack goes, I have no clue, looks like some kind of strap, Maybe for climbing a cliff? Like point du hock ...

That looks like a Sap to me, a leather thong with a lead weight on the end making for a good head thumping tool

Interesting observations. I hadn't noticed the BAR belt. It does look like a sap and I guess it might have some utility but a fighting knife, carbine butt, e-tool could do a number on someone as well, and he would already be carrying them. Perhaps there's a back story, like his dad was a policeman & had given it to him, etc. It just seems odd to see it, if it is a sap, but I agree that's what it looks like.

Tom

Well, if y'all happened to read a certain book you'd know that it was a custom knife his father sent him.

When I asked him if he carried it through the war, Bob said it's probably still someplace on the bottom of the channel off Normandy where he dropped it. He also used the Bar belt as he could carry more in it. They really were not sure how long it would be until they got resupplied, as you can see from the somewhat stuffed pack.

It's also a great photo to show people who bad mouth the M28- here's a guy who was issued an M-36,and could have used anything he wanted, yet he decided he wanted to go into action with an M28.

Well, if y'all happened to read a certain book you'd know that it was a custom knife his father sent him.

Thanks for the info. I read the book and have it shelved just a few feet away. I probably recalled a fragment of what you had first written. My memory ain't what it used to be...

Tom

Linedoggie

Interesting observations. I hadn't noticed the BAR belt. It does look like a sap and I guess it might have some utility but a fighting knife, carbine butt, e-tool could do a number on someone as well, and he would already be carrying them. Perhaps there's a back story, like his dad was a policeman & had given it to him, etc. It just seems odd to see it, if it is a sap, but I agree that's what it looks like.

Tom

E tools and Buttstocks have their place in close in fights, but a sap works wonders closer in. I knew a PSG who brought brass knuckles for an entire platoon in Iraq Another man had Sap gloves with powdered lead over the knuckles