36th division, Darwin D. Niles, my dad

Dan Niles

Dad's final resting place, along with his medals and dog tags. The fixed bail Schlueter helmet in the pic is an original set attributed to Kraston Scott who also served in France as a medic with the 119th AAA Battalion. Kraston won the Bronze star for bravery so I deemed it appropriate this memorial day to include it in the picture.

post-10305-0-33768500-1400996963.jpg

Incredible grouping and tribute to your father. I may not have been the first to notice but his facial expression in the picture of the radio show after being wounded and returning home seems all too familiar, just plain weariness. Tragic that so many of these boys came home with the same expressions. Thank you for taking the time to show everything and I am sure we would all love to see any updates you may have.

You are right on about the expression on Dad's face here. He had only been out of the hospital a short time and was having a lot of trouble sleeping. He was real sensitive to sound from being in combat where sleeping sound could get you killed. Thunderstorms especially gave him trouble. He never ever enjoyed 4th of July's because of the loud fireworks reminding him of artillery fire they had experienced. It is amazing how he went in a young boy off the farm and came out a different man but dad enjoyed a full life with his family. We all need to remember all of the sacrifices all these men make in all wars and conflicts for us to remain free. I hope everyone has a safe Memorial weekend.....Dan

Bill_Carman

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tribute to your father. It is great that all the photos and documents remained. Thanks again.

Brian Dentino

A bit late to the thread but wanted to comment that this is a truly remarkable grouping. I just love looking at family member items, I have a few of my own and know how treasured they are.....a great display and tribute to your father. Thanks so much for sharing his service with us here!

Dan

That's a great photo of your dad and his buddies.As often seen the negative was reversed when printed.The photo still shows that they all are wearing the CIB on the pocket flap.Thanks for posting the extra items.

• 1 year later...