How do you manage your photos?

I realize this site no longer accepts hosted website photos.

So from a high level point of view, how do people manage their photos?

Do you store them on your hard drive? camera?

I periodically visit about 10 sites and it has always been convenient to have one common host site location to retain my photos and links.

I suppose I could upgrade my membership at each of the 10 sites and pay the appropriate fee at each site so that will then allow me direct picture posting privileges;

Or I can manage two photo sites, one at home and one at a hosting site if I want to continue to share photos;

Or I can lessen my photo sharing.

So how do you guys manage/store your photos for multiple sites you visit that may have different requirements and keep it all organized?

Thanks!

Kim

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I store mine (cataloged) in my computer and I also have a back up hard drive.

I also use it to inventory my collection as well as store and catalog a few thousand photos of WWII tanks.

Being organized is the key.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

I keep them all on my computer. I create a folder for each item I photograph and give it a name that includes the date, such as "NavyGrouping052114." I also usually name the photos within each folder, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Thumb drives are so inexpensive these days that it is very cheap and easy to back up your photos.

Now I do also have my own websites (www.bobhudson.com, www.militarypicker.com, etc) so I can upload my photo folders to those and link to them (which I do for all my ebay listings).

I used to use various hosting services, but I've seen too many of them change policies and procedures so that all of the links to my photos became invalid and/or the service went out of business.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

I no longer name the photos as ebay or other websites can have completely different names for the front and backs of the patches, so now I take screen shots that date time stamps each photo. This way, I can always sort and find the matching photo. Each unit has it's own folder on my computer...backed up on a solid state flash drive.

Ditto what the other guys have said. On the Menu Bar at the left of my screen, there can be seen such sections as "Pictures", "Documents", etc.. All my pics are categorized under different titles ("Family", "Extended Family"...) and kept in Folders by the same name. The Military stuff is categorized as well, into Folders entitled "Army Stuff", "Army Photos & Data", Marine & Navy Stuff" and so on. I have folders of the pictures in their original size, and then Folders of all the same pics which I've downsized into the prescribed pixels size for the USMF, which was 150 KB, but now is up to 250 KB. It really makes it easy to locate what you want to post...only trouble is now, I'm in the process of making yet more Folders of the 250 KB pictures since the Forum has increased their pixels capacity, but the now-old 150s will still work just fine.

Hope this helps :)

P.S.: And a backup hard drive storage is essential, in case something happens to your computer. You can copy pretty much anything onto them, and they aren't all that expensive.

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

Kim,

Like others have said, I also keep general type photos (reference information and dealer/seller pic's) on my computer. I usually find it has the quickest access for items I am either looking for or just using for reference. I keep my personal collection photos on a USB memory stick.

Memory (flash) drives are fairly inexpensive and reliable, though cheaper ones can separate at the connection wires after pulling these overtime, so beware. The capacity is now in the GB range for fairly cheap costs considering the size of the device. I used to keep all my files on the computer hard drives, but after having a couple crashes in the past that I could not salvage files, I just got tired of losing that information and work. CD's are another avenue but they get costly overtime and if you don't have a re-writable CD, then you end up with useless CD's eventually. I see them going the way of the 3.5 disc eventually.

Memory sticks are the way to go IMO, they offer fairly convenient access and take up minimal storage space. Easy to keep safe in case of major loss (fire,etc.) for record purposes and you can keep other related files (word, excel, etc.) that allow you to keep track of what you got.

Hope that gives you a better idea.

Tim

donation2015.gif

A friendly reminder that my images and material posted here are not to be considered "fair use" or "public domain". If you want to legally use my material outside this forum, for any purpose, my express written permission is requested and required beforehand.

Thank you.

I keep external hard drives at home and work (separate ones, two at work, two at home) that I back up my work and home computers on (both of them to both hard drives). That way, I have all of my photos at work and home. I also keep three hard drives with all of the information and photos backed up at undisclosed locations across the country. I update those very infrequently, as they require being sent back and forth

Now as far as organization on the hard drives...they're not. I have around 200,000 photos and they're roughly organized by date and by whatever I named them at the time. There's some stuff I just haven't been able to find...forever...but I know I have photos of it somewhere!

If you don't want a bunch of external hard drives, I'd get a couple thumb drives and use them. They make them up to very large sizes these days, so it would be easy (though perhaps not cheap) to use them to transport the images.

Amazon and a couple other places offer fairly reasonably priced cloud storage as well, if you want to do the cloud storage thing. Also, if you want to keep the images on photobucket (etc.) you can still do that and then just copy it to your computer and then upload it to the USMF. That would work too.

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

thanks for the suggestions!

I'll work through this, get my routine redialed in once more, and start posting photos again.

Kim

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif