CHINA PATROL Bombing Squadron 104 Patch & grouping-Unit ID needed

CHINA PATROL Bombing Squadron 104 Patch & grouping-Unit ID needed...The patch and embroidered dragon were removed from the veteran's old flight suit.

post-3653-0-78037600-1400626585.jpg

VPB-104 flew B-24s. I have the VPB-104 history book at the house. If you like you can provide his name and I can look him up.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, he was A. P. Forrest...The pocket patch is about 4 inches across and the Dragon is really large, must have been impressive on the flight suit. Ed

post-3653-0-87267700-1400631917.jpg

Johnny Signor

It seems like VP/VPB-104 had several different designs , I have one that shows a fat lion sitting on the Japanese flag tongue sticking out and holding a machine gun,and the title "Screamin' 104 "Strictly From Hunger", also a VP-104 with a devil cats's face tongue out .......................

The other dragon with the sword could have been another variation or possibly the variations had to do with where they may have been based or "dets" ......

Ed,

I checked the book named " The Buccaneers of Harry Sears" written by Henry J. Thompson, and A. P. Forrest is not listed as a crewman. However, this book only covers the squadron history up until March 1944, which was the first of two War cruises. Your man was probably assigned to the squadron for the second cruise.

VPB-104 was a highly decorated Navy squadron. They were the only USN Patrol/bomb squadron to earn two PUCs.

Chris

I wrote the bio of the commanding officer of VPB-104 in my book and visited his family to photograph his medals and documents for the book. They didn't have any patches, unfortunately. :(

Dave, great info i think he was the third Skipper of VPB-104.

Well I hope you dont mind me adding this to your already great thread. So here is my tie to VPB-104. It is the personal belt buckle of one of the original plank-owners of VPB-104. He was a PPC (Patrol plane commander) of the aircraft called "Donald's Duck".

post-10825-0-99160600-1400721418.jpg

Ed,

Here is some information on your sailor -

Forrest, Allan P 313 46 40
Transferred from Hedron FAW-2 to VPB-200 12 Feb 45
Transferred from VPB-200 to VPB-104 18 May 45
Source documents VPB-200 Muster Rolls
I do not have any additional information on his assignments.
Larry

Thanks to all who posted for the additional unit details...his flight log book has some interesting entries. Ed

• 5 months later...