My Great Uncle Max's Navy Cross

CHASEUSA11B

Bill_Carman

The last round of photographs are fantastic. Glad that you are the caretaker of this piece of family history. I know it has a good home, will be honored, and treasured.

aerialbridge

Instead of "great pick-up!" or "great catch", I'll go with great great-uncle. A wonderful valor group to a man from the 3nd most decorated ship of WW2 and the most decorated (per ship) class of ships in the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_decorated_US_ships_of_WWII

As a Californian, what a great family treasure to have. Earned with sweat and guts on the USS San Francisco. Fighting a fire from the front of #3 8 inch turret, which is firing while the ship is under attack. The only enlisted man to be awarded the Navy Cross the Solomons engagment. Amazing. Some guys might have rich uncles, but the legacy you have from yours I believe is priceless. I'm glad it's in the woodwork where it will stay.

Your timing is great, the USS San Francisco Memorial Foundation is having its annual ceremony this Sunday over the Memorial Day weekend at Lands End. I dunno, but I'll bet if you picked up the horn or emailed them ASAP, and introduced yourself, they would be delighted to have you and your legacy be honored guests this year. If it were me, that would be worth getting on the I-5 for a few hours or checking for plane fares.

http://www.usssanfrancisco.org/index.htm

CHASEUSA11B

Thanks again gentlemen.

Aerial bridge-well said. Unfortunately making it to San Francisco would be impossible for me due to work and family issues. Thanks for the links

History Man

Amazing piece of family history....a brave sailor, you must be very proud to be the caretaker of his group.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Philip

aerialbridge

Thanks again gentlemen.

Aerial bridge-well said. Unfortunately making it to San Francisco would be impossible for me due to work and family issues. Thanks for the links

You're welcome, CHASE. Thanks for sharing your family's medals and the great story of your uncle's service. Just looking at those pictures, you can tell he was a "can do" guy. Just a suggestion, and I hope you don't mind it. If you don't have any written family history about him, if your gramma is physically up to it, you might consider asking her to talk about her brother and tape that oral history.

m1ashooter

Thanks for sharing this very important piece of family and national history with us. He is from all accounts a sailors, sailor. Its not unusal for a family member to hold back things. I spent many a day with my uncle who never told me he was awared the Bronze Star with V for action on Iwo Jima. It was his little brother my dad who told me. His citation sits proudly on my bookcase.

• 2 weeks later...

These are the best kind of finds. Thanks for sharing, and I sure wish I could thank your Uncle Max for his service.

Chase, Great family history and glad you have the medals and photographs to go along with it. We so often work hard to preserve the history of these patriots, it is always refreshing to see one still honored by his family. Not just your willingness to carry the torch but also your grandmother's respect of caring for his medals for the last 65 years. I wish your grandma the best and thanks for sharing her brother's legacy with us.

-Erik

CHASEUSA11B

Thanks again guys. I just received Max's file from forum member mes who does them for half the price of the regular requests and is prompt helpful and professional.

The file has some great stuff including a new photo, lists of all the engagements he participated in, medals earned, details of his death, condolence letters after The accident, citations, including the PUC for the uss San Francisco and more.

CHASEUSA11B

Max's continuous service certificate starting nov 1943 lists actions to include : occupation of the Gilbert Islands including bombardment and occupation of Making Island, operations culminating in the attack on the Marshall Islands, the bombardment of of Taroa island, Maloelap Atoll, operations culminating in the capture and occupation of Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, operations culminating in the attack on the island of Truk, operated with carrier task force during which time aircraft strikes were made on Palau and Woleai, operated i support of amphibious landings on New Guinea, the bombardment of Satawaan, Caaroline Islands group, operations culminating in the capture and occupation of Saipan, Tinian and Guam. Underwent attacks by enemy aircraft , support of a amphibious landings at lingayen gulf, Luzon PI including sweeps of the south china seas, Formosa and Okinawa. Operated with a fast carrier task force in support of amphibious landings on Iwo Jima. During this period aircraft strikes were made on Tokyo. Participated in the bombardment of Iwo Jima, participated in the bombardment and capture of Okinawa,

Another page states: participated in the capture and defense Guadalcanal islands (Solomon Islands) including night surface action against superior enemy forces CONDUCT EXCELLENT

Engaged in enemy action with enemy aircraft and superior enemy forces (enemy action) battle off Savo Island. Outstanding conduct and performance of duty. awarded the NAVY CROSS for extraordinary heroism in the action against Japanese naval forces.

That's not to mention being present at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941

His awards are listed as: American defense Medal w/1 bronze star----American Campaign Medal w/1 bronze star ---- Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal w/1 silver Star ----- Good Conduct Medal ---- World War II Victory Medal ----- Navy Cross ---- Philippine Liberation Ribbon w/1 bronze star---- Presidential Unit Citation ribbon w/ blue enamel star.

He served from 11/13/37 to 4/14/49 with three terms so I believe he should he should have multiple good conduct medals but it's just written out as 1.

I have also never heard of a "blue enamel star" does anyone have any info on that?

I feel like I won the lottery obtaining all this info along with the medals. I doubt I will ever obtain any militaria that could come anywhere near how special this is to me.

Thank you for sharing this great piece of history! God bless your great uncle! He truly was an American Hero !

Can you tell us what happened to him that he was lost at sea in 1949?

manayunkman

Very impressive that this was kept secret for so many years.

And a wonderful debut.

I have also never heard of a "blue enamel star" does anyone have any info on that?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35779-navymc-pucs/&do=findComment&comment=476244

Check out that link for a good discussion of it.

This is an absolutely fantastic group...not only is it incredible in a militaria-sense, but the fact that it's still with the family and will be appreciated makes it all the more special.

This is better than winning the lotto...lots of people have lots of money...but very, very few have something like this.

CHASEUSA11B

I appreciate the comments, and Dave thank you for the link.

KySoldier-here are a few papers from the file relating to his death.

post-6201-0-77358200-1401830867.jpg

post-6201-0-80844500-1401830903.jpg

post-6201-0-83210500-1401830925.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Wow, very cool grouping to an early war action. Thanks for posting.

Kurt

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...