More Desert Storm Bring Backs

bryang

This past month I've put a lot of work into finally getting my "man cave" put together. I've picked up steam as display ideas have come to mind, and I've been filling my walls with photos and memorabilia of my military service.

Walls might seem 'busy,' however everything I've put up so far holds meaning for me.

My grandson comes in whenever I'm at my desk, and he loves to look at the photos. He has non-verbal autism, so he points to a photo then looks at me. At his eye-level I hung a photo of his dad and me in Iraq (we both served in 5th Special Forces Group, but at different locations ... managed to visit him on occasion while we were over there). He'll look at it then point to my image and then his dad, then he'll kiss the photo.

So, welcome to my "man cave." Here's what I have done with some of my war bring-backs thus far:

post-152877-0-12846400-1427857763.jpg

post-152877-0-09747400-1427857782.jpg

post-152877-0-33554700-1427857804.jpg

.....in the vicinity of Ali al Salem airfield.

Nice place.

I was there in 1998 for Desert Blunder (Thunder). There was nothing there, just Special Operations (US and Allied) and the 3rd ID. Just when I left, they were digging an anti-tank ditch around the perimeter.

Fast forward to 2005. For Big Blue AF they have hardened barracks and buildings, a BX and a frakkin' pool!

Good times.

• 11 months later...
SergeantMajorGray

So you captured that Iraqi M90 rubber bumper helmet in Desert Storm? I'm trying to confirm if those helmets were put in use before ODS ended.

So you captured that Iraqi M90 rubber bumper helmet in Desert Storm? I'm trying to confirm if those helmets were put in use before ODS ended.

Took it out of an abandoned Iraqi bunker complex approx 20 km west of Ali Al Salem airfield.

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks thats what my friend said they were still experimental in ODS and we're only issued to rear troops and most were in storage and brought back. They started to be issued after the war.