1917 Simmons Respirator Haversack

TrenchRat

RC,

Thanks, for that. The pack is quite clean...

The respirator you mention is what I believe to be the early American type, with the early hardware. Would you agree?

post-92682-0-79363700-1398375725.jpg

RustyCanteen

RC,

Thanks, for that. The pack is quite clean...

The respirator you mention is what I believe to be the early American type, with the early hardware. Would you agree?

That definitely looks like the carrier for the failed ABR. There was another one I consider a transitional that retains the British style adjustment buckle but drops the leather tab. Both of those date to June-August 1917.

Very nice uncommon bag! Is it dated or does it have any manufacturer markings? A more standardized bag was was type manufactured by Simmons post September 1917 IIRC.

RC

Here is the entire display, just for the heck of it.

This is a decent 1912 wool coat with color sgt. chevrons, and a nice, albeit incomplete, set of 1910 gear...

I am very glad to have this bag. All my others, maybe a half dozen, are the typical carriers - the only difference being the cords rings - some are half round and the others are square...all with the same basic markings...

post-92682-0-64199300-1398380529.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
RustyCanteen

Hi!

I finally found a little time to sit down and make a post here. Simmons manufactured at least two models of bags during 1917, but of those two models there are variations. I can't state for a fact that all of the variations were actual approved design changes versus transitional manufacture of the two models. I consider the two models to be the norm and the rest of the Simmons 1917 bags purely variations within manufacture.

Markings:

Now, the first bags Simmons supplied had their name in the familiar location (under the flap). But they used the straight-line name only through about September-October 1917 (guessitimate), when it was changed to the more common arched "Simmons" that was used throughout the remainder of 1917 and into 1918. The arched "Simmons" is usually not seen except on the second model bags which I will link to a little later.

sim1.jpg

Later name stamp, this is also found dated 1918.

Design:

The design of the Simmons bags is drawn heavily from the British SBR bag. The Simmons bag shares the same multi-piece construction that is found on British SBR bags, which is arguably a major aid to identification of the 1917 Simmons bags. This is easily seen in the external seam on both the front and back near the bottom:

brit.jpg

(British SBR bag, but you can see the stitched seam I refer to across the bottom front which is shared with the Simmons bags)

What I consider to be the first model (of two) that Simmons produced in 1917 consists of the above features, but also the carryover of the British style leather alert tab (and accompanying studs on the strap). The example you have posted has a strap that is comprised of two layers of canvas duck that have been sewn together. I haven't yet decided where that fits into the manufacture since the other variation uses a standard woven cotton strap like that of later bags. Portions of the sewn strap seem to have been used in the second model Simmons bags later in 1917, so it could have been later manufacture then those with the woven strap. Collectors typically ascribe the weird unexplainable things as being earlier, but I don't buy into that. I think there is a fair chance either came first, no matter what both bags are early and of the first model as far as I am concerned. This is really just academic, but it is nice to know how it all fits together.

Around late fall 1917 it seems Simmons started production of the second model bags. The biggest change was in the strap hardware. Gone was the British 'alert' arrangement of the leather tab and studs, along with the cast buckles. In their place was a new cast alert hook and cast sliding buckles to adjust the strap length. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/172060-m1917-corrected-english-ce-gas-mask-haversacks/

sim2.jpg

Revised design. Note the woven strap, but the portion of the strap hanger on the bag is sewn. I suppose it is possible Simmons converted some half finished examples which had not been taken delivery of to the second model, but that doesn't seem too likely since I have seen/heard no evidence of conversion work done by Simmons.

Now, back to your bag (which is an excellent example!), can you read the numbers stamped inside the flap (above the Simmons name)?

RC