Jaurez Wings

JDK

Just a question here.....I've noticed a fair amount of Juarez Coin Silver wings on Ebay as of late.

Does anyone know if these are being reproduced. I know the pins are unique on the orginals compared

to other makers, but I'm sure someone could get them pretty close if they wanted to.

While I'm at it, Amico wings seem to be popping up very frequently as well. I know Amico was a fairly

large maker, so maybe it's just a coincidence. I always tend to get suspicious when I see alot of something,

especially on good old Ebay :rolleyes: .........

J.D.

J.D.

Yes Juarez wings have been reproduced for a LONG time, (1970's I am told) so now the repros are looking old, also Weingarden gallery does one that looks pretty good to the untrained eye. Be careful. To the best of my knowledge no one is doing die struck fakes of AMICO yet, although I have seen cast versions of the rare ones

Paul

Interesting! Thanks for the info Paul. I didn't know that Juarez wings have been copied for that long.

Are the Coin Silver marked wings more suspect? That's what I've seen the most of?

Yes - more info on the repros please! Anyone have weight and measurements of a no-doubt good coin silver Juarez pilot wing they could post?

robert60446

Yes, please share with us guys, if you have any pictures of Jaurez fakes please post them here… thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Ayntime you want to see what I make please go to www.1903.com. This way you can see which wings are reproductions.

• 1 month later...
IMPERIAL QUEST
Ayntime you want to see what I make please go to www.1903.com. This way you can see which wings are reproductions. Also if anyone wants a complete catalog with pictures just e-mail me at [email protected].

Hi,

Do these look like your work? Also, is this catch known to have been used on originals? The one in the photo looks slightly different, but is close to your wing. Hard to tell with any certainty, but the photo on your site seems to have a space in between "COIN SILVER" and the pics I posted reaad "COINSILVER"...is this an indicator of an original?

Thanks

*************** Produced Wings (from website)

All of my Juarez wings and all the ones that I can recall seeing have a "hollow back" (an indented region behind the shield) as opposed to the solid, flat back wing you show. Also, unless repaired, the hinge, pin, and catch are pretty characteristic of these wings. It is hard to know for sure without handling the wings (and sometimes not even then), but I dont have good feelings about this wing.

Just saying...

Patrick

IMPERIAL QUEST

Thanks for the reply Patrick. To carry this a little further: Something I was thinking when reading and viewing the images in the pinned thread about Juarez wings being made in Mexico....and if I am understanding correctly, Walter Lampl did indeed make these. My question is this, is it not possible that this style catch (as shown in the 2nd picture in post #7) was used by the company? This barrel catch looks like a dead ringer for the type that they used in their commercial jewelry line. Also, on the flat backed examples, I found the photos below on Ebay from the "Last great collection" auctions or something to that effect. It features a flat back in coin silver but with the flimsy style catch usually seen...your thoughts please.

The front

HI Steve,

Like I said, it is always difficult to know based on photos. The bombardier wing looks good, but is different than the one in my collection. So, likely I am mistaken and some Juarez wings were indeed flat back. Still, of the 7-8 that I have are all hollow backs.

Patrick

Note

I have been asked to provide some info on the Jaurez wings I make and how to ID mine. I know some of you are still believe they were made in Mexico and this is false. In fact I purchased the remaining stock of joints and catches from a company in NYC that supplied the ones used on Jaurez wings and I might add the junkie ones where the rotor keeps falling out. That is why you see so many that are broken. If anyone needs a repair I have about 1000 correct ones. These were supplied to Walter, who had the wings made in Jersey City. I currently use those on my reproductions. Also real Jauerz will have the incorrect clasp to replace the falling ones, so that is not a good checkpoint. When they broke, airmen would take them to a jeweler to be repaired and they would replace the clasp.

A real Jauerz is 3 1/4 inches wide. My reproductions are all 3 3/16 wide. So make sure you get an accurate measurement when looking at one to buy. This is the best checkpoint.

The back - they were made in both flat and indented in the center. All of them were made in both sterling (.925 pure silver) and coin (.900 pure silver). So this is not a factor in real vs. repro. Back in WWII melting US coins was allowed and if they ran out of sterling, they just melted money. After all 4 quarters and a dime is one wing.

A die struck wing will have a very smooth back while one of mine will look under a 10x loop like sand. Also check the edge, a die struck will have a cut line that is exact, while a cast will not.

I currently manufacture the following Jauerz wings: (All hollow back except the Pilot Coin)

Pilot - Sterling and Coin

Glider - Sterling and Coin

Aircrew - Coin

Observer - Coin

Bombardier - Coin

On the list to be made

Aircrew - Sterling

Bombardier - Sterling

I do not know of anyone currently die striking these wings. One thing most of you forget is that any insignia has a life span that goes far beyond the conflict. Most have a life of 30 years and many companies made their insignia well into late 60's.

If you have an item you want me to look at I am more than happy to provide assistance, just send a picture, front and back to [email protected]

Joe

IMPERIAL QUEST

Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply, it is filled with some excellent pointers, and it is much appreciated. I decided to to take a chance on the wings I posted as I did not pay an enormous amount. I will post some detailed shots here of the areas you mention when they arrive for the benefit of others who might be interested. Hopefully, we will all learn together that it is a good wing :unsure: .

Thanks,

Steve

Here is a pair of Juarez coin silver pilots wings with the infamous broken roller catch. 3 1/4 inches in width.

I would be interested in an original roller to repair my wings with.

Steve

post-415-1220404028.jpg

post-415-1220404049.jpg

post-415-1220404063.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Ok guys, the wing just arrived a few minutes ago. I will let the photos speak for themselves, but I will say the wing measures EXACTLY 3 1/4'' and that the finish and quality is just like what I observe on my early LGB 1930's wing.

The photos:

IMPERIAL QUEST

Last one. These are thick, hefty, and the edges are beautifully finished. If I am understanding Joe's posting above outlining the differences - I think I am looking at a real Juarez...

Shoulder