WWII Pole/Tree Climbing Spikes?

TheGrayGhost

TheGrayGhost

Just picked these up. Construction style seems to be WWII only marking is U.S. Bloomfield. I can't seem to find any reference for them. What are they?

post-11017-0-89988800-1400451913.jpg

post-11017-0-02583300-1400451922.jpg

ThompsonSavage

These are experimental tree climbing spikes for snipers WWII

Do you have any documentation on these?

Do you have any documentation on these?

Personally no, but they are discussed and pictured in the Quartermaster Equipment for Special Forces historical study No.5 February 1944. This study is reprinted covering jungle, mountain, armored and I think airborne equipment. I use to own a copy and has lots of good info, someone posted some snips from it in the topic about the jungle packs.

Oh wow, how cool is that! Did these ever see action?

I don't think so but I do not recall exactly what the historical study said. I do remember that they are loosely based off a Japanese/ninja tree climbing set, something they were fielding with their snipers. Interestingly enough these climbers are not that rare but go by unnoticed for the fact not many people know what they are and I think they are one of those instances where a crate of them were found years ago and unleashed on the collector market. I know of several people sitting on them for the fact they don't sell.

Years ago one of my mannequin goals was to represent the historical study pictures with the one piece camo, canvas high top jungle boots with these climbers, head net, mosquito gloves, collapsible canteen, machete, jungle pack with a base display of gear like food bags, TL-194 , jungle hammock and other articles listed in the study. would have been a neat display.

TheGrayGhost

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a copy of the "Quartermaster Equipment for Special Forces Historical Study No.5 February 1944"

right now. Will upload the info once I have it.

Not sure how rare these really are. Was only able to find one set sold on ebay, but it was miscategorized so I can't really rely on the value or info being good. The only other set I found is being sold by Hayes for $395. Otherwise, the net seems to be completely devoid of any information on these.

Regardless, I have a 1903A4 that these will look great with!

Value is not very high , they are an obscure piece of equipment and being a non combat used item it has almost zero desirability. They will fit nicely displayed with you 03

TheGrayGhost

Didn't think they were worth that much, but I am not deep into them so I am good with it. Just cool to have a interesting and different piece of kit.

• 1 year later...

My dad has a pair of these hanging up in his shop, with the same maker name. But the upper straps are OD#7.

He used them for tree climbing when he was much younger. He told me that he has seen linemen ones, which have shorter spikes than ones made for trees.

Thanks for the update on this. I just happened across it today because I bought a pair of these at a garage sale last summer and thought they were for linemen also. The pair I have are unused though there is a small amount of light surface rust here and there. So maybe they're not worth much but are a pretty cool item anyway. Now we know what they are and where/why they came from. Thanks again.

TheGrayGhost

All of the ones I have ever seen are appear unused. The study above casts a very positive light on the concept which makes me wonder when, if, or just how much these were actually field tested. Unfortunately, this study is the only place I have ever seen these mentioned.

Does anyone have the linemen spikes to photograph to compare the photo earlier in this thread?

Also, does anyone know what amphib training center they were tested at? I'd love to know if it was Camp Gordon Johnston in Florida!