Help to ID Wool patch!?

comida

Hello I just picked up this patch that was pinned on a maroon colored flag with WW1 ear hat cords and other WW1 era rank and a nice old style 45th patch. However I have no idea what this one is.

post-117316-0-53929800-1400361119.jpeg

Patchcollector

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was "the Cheshire cat" :lol: Or maybe it's just snarling.It looks to have been sewn to something.May be a school piece?What size is it?

post-117316-0-02696800-1400457447.jpeg

Okay here is another picture of the back of that patch and the other patch that came with it. It does look like it was attached to something at some point. There are pieces of thread left around the outside edge. I added the tape so you can see the size of it. When you say school, do you mean military school or not even military?

Patchcollector

Thanks for the dimensions and the back view.I meant both military or non Military,but if it is a school piece,I would lean towards Military just because it was with the other Military items.

The "guilt by association" theory at work :)

Johnny Signor

Well after seeing the new photos , seeing as the other patch is of the felt type construction I'd venture more in the WW1 or post WW2 era on the "cat" patch , try some WW-1 sites for that era patches

world war I nerd

This is a real long shot ... but I've read that the men of the 81st Division training at Camp Jackson in North Carolina in 1917 started wearing an unauthorized SSI bearing only the head of a Carolina Wildcat.

This was later changed to a Carolina wildcat in profile, with its back raised in anger, which went on the become the SSI of the 81st Infantry Division.

Could this be the early version of the 81st Division's insignia?

Thanks to all that have helped so far. Still no luck on my part to be able to put a exact title to it. I figured I would attach a pic. of how I bought it and what else came with it for all to see. I am not sure what it is attached to or what the blue campaign hat cord is that has the pink acorns.

post-117316-0-19816600-1400974014.jpg

post-117316-0-08606500-1400974149.jpg

Johnny Signor

Well by what I can see it all looks to be US except for the "mystery" patch ,I'm still leaning towards a foreign type maybe someone the veteran at the time crossed path's with and was given the patch .....................

try the countries I listed ..................