Flight on the "Nine-O-Nine"

lastpost

Thought I'd post a few photos of my flight on the Collings Foundation's B-17G Nine-O-Nine that I took about a year ago out of Brackett Field in La Verne, CA. It was a pretty expensive trip but well worth the money since like so many I had dreamed of flying in a B-17 since I was old enough to know what one was.

This first photo shows the Nine-O-Nine just after landing and waiting for her next mission. There is something downright romantic and regal about the B-17 that seems missing in most aircraft. Also at Brackett was the Fondation's B-24 and B-25:

9O9atRest.jpg

Prior to take off we were seated in the waist section of the plane. This is a shot of the ball turret looking forward:

B-17BallTurret.jpg

After take off you are allowed to move about the plane. The two parts of the plane that were off limits were the cockpit and the tail gunner's position. I took this shot while my head was actually outside the aircraft - though the radio opperator's compartment hatch. That is Interstate 10 as it runs through Pomona, CA:

B-17Radio.jpg

After going across the bomb bay catwalk I was in the flight engineer's/top turret compartmnet. This photo was taken out of the top turret looking forward over the starboard wing:

B-17EnginesStarboardFromTopTurret.jpg

After crawling under the pilot's seats I took this shot out of the side windows of the navigator/bombardier compartment in the nose of the plane - those big radials are really things of beauty:

B-17EnginesStarboardFromNavigator.jpg

Here I am sitting in the bombardier's seat:

B-17Bombardier.jpg

I took this shot through the Norden bomb sight. I took a chance shooting through the sight's eyepeice with my digital camera and got lucky:

B-17BombSite.jpg

Here she is after the end of the flight. We - there were about eight of us - had just gotten off the plane and she was sitting there with engines running waiting for the next load of lucky flyers:

B-17preTakeOff.jpg

As I mentioned it was expensive but well worth it. How many people alive today can actually claim to have been inside a Flying Fortress in flight? Besides the money goes to a good cause. In addtion there is a limited number of years before this B-17 and every other one will no longer be able to take to the air. Talking to some of the guys involved they felt that ten more years might be all. The age of the planes (getting pretty near 70 years old already) and the expense (think about what it must cost to fill those wing tanks up with 100 octane aviation fuel) will eventually cause all those remaining to be grounded. It is something I will never forget nor regret doing.

brandon_rss18

That is awesome, I like the pic throught the bomb site. I am thinking about flying in the B-17 here in galveston at the lone star flight museum. I think it runs around $425 a person, or I can ride in the B-25 for $375. I dont know which one I want to ride in, maybe both! :lol: Awesome pics, really making me think about doing it.

That is awesome, I like the pic throught the bomb site. I am thinking about flying in the B-17 here in galveston at the lone star flight museum. I think it runs around $425 a person, or I can ride in the B-25 for $375. I dont know which one I want to ride in, maybe both! :lol: Awesome pics, really making me think about doing it.

I would go for the B-17 first. You have pretty much free access on that plane. On the Collings Foundation B-25 you are allowed to pick either the front end of the plane or the rear section for your flight so you don't get the see the whole ship while it is in the air. There is just a bit more to see in the B-17. This is a moot point if one is a B-25 fan.

That bomb site shot was just pure luck. I did not even know that there was a mansion in the cross hairs when I pressed the button.

The flight was smooth and not as noisy as one would expect. The landing was actually a lot softer and smoother that any modern jet I have been on - probably due to how much heavier modern passenger jets are when compared to an un-laden B-17.

Wow. That looks fantastic. w00t.gif

I think that is something I may have to put my hand up to do.

If you dont mind can you let me know how much it cost?

Also do they have a web site?

Wow. That looks fantastic. w00t.gif

I think that is something I may have to put my hand up to do.

If you dont mind can you let me know how much it cost?

Also do they have a web site?

Here is a link to the Collings Foundation website.

Collings Foundation - Wings of Victory Tour

Each year they do a tour around the country called the Wings of Victory Tour. They started in California last month and are still touring there so they really have just gotten started for the summer. The web site has a a full list of places and times. The cost is around $425.00 for either the B-17 or B-24. The parice varies a bit for the B-25 depending on what section of the plane you fly in.

The whole experience lasted about an hour with about 40 minutes in the air (it went by way to quickly). We even got to run all four props through by and before the flight.

As I mentioned above it is kind of expensive but to actually get to Fly in one of these planes give one a connection to history as nothing else will. The one thing that really amazed me while up in the air is that back during the war these planes were piloted and crewed by 18,19 and 20 year olds.

Keep in mind that every cent of the cost goes into maintaining these aircraft in flying condition. Last year when I took my flight is cost some $4000.00/hour to keep the Nine-O-Nine airborne.

Hope you get to go.

I was in one of these several years ago.. Unfortunately, not while in flight but, only while it was on static display at an air show. That was enough to make me want to fly in one some day. Thanks for the great pictures! I want to get up in one more now after seeing these, than I did before! :rolleyes:

Great pics! Beautiful bird. I had the privilege of flying in B-17G "Texas Raider" when I was active in the Confederate Air Force. Made a 20 minute flight from Ellington Field, Houston out over the Gulf! What a thrill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobgee

IMPERIAL QUEST

Thank you for posting this ;) . Fantastic memories that will without a doubt, last a lifetime. My money is going toward a ride on "Thunderbird" which is kept at the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas. I have dreamed of flying in one of these grand ol' gals since I first watched 12 O'clock High when I was a young teen. Actually I plan to use part of my "stimulus" check to fund the ride. The vibration of the whirling engines, the smell of raw fuel being dumped into the cylinders...watching B-17 flight videos on You tube gives me goose bumps...I can only imagine the emotion involved with an actual flight. :love:

I took a look at their website and I see they also offer rides on a UH-1 Huey... for $100 a bench seat!

Golly... I remember when the government paid me to ride on the Huey, instead of the other way around!

That said... it would be a kick to do it again....

These folks also have a flying F-4 Phantom painted in a Southeast Asia camo scheme.... if you have never heard one of these flying, you are in for quite an awesome experience.

HueyEvent.jpg

high_f4phantom.jpg

vicjoy1945

Hey !

I flew in Nine O' Nine a few years back and LOVED it !! Do NOT miss an opportunity to do this !! You will not regret it...it was quite the thrill of a lifetime !!

We also had the honor to fly with a vet who flew on D-day over the beaches as a combat photographer and he related his stories to us while we were in flight...it was really incredible !!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks

Vic

They come to Denver soon and the wife has given the thumbs up.

There is another flight outfit with a B-17 in Denver this weekend, so I might check that one out too.

Thanks for posting.

The "Aluminum Overcast". I'm scheduled to go up 6-8-08. Hopefully I'll get some good pics for you.

post-78-1212868718.jpg

Hey,

It was great!! My photos aren't much different than Lastposts. I'm definitely doing the B-24 next year!!

I do want to add these two photos. I loved the nose art. She is really beautiful. And the shot of the Rockies. It's a great way to see them! thumbsup.gif

post-78-1213490026.jpg

post-78-1213490066.jpg

I flew in the 909 back in 2003. They came around when I still lived in California and the big history buff that I am, I volunteered to help out. The whole day I wiped up oil, fuel and exhaust grime, but I never thought I would have so much fun doing it. At the end of the day they said they had one extra seat available on 909 and wanted to know if I wanted to go up. Well, I think you all know my answer.

It was truely amazing. We took off north out of Moffett Federal Airfield in the San Francisco Bay and headed out to the coast. It was truely breathtaking flying down the California coast I got a good handful of pictures. I will go find my best one on the other computer and post it later today.

I made sure to volunteer when they came through Nebraska (where I live now). I did the same job, but unfortunately didn't get a flight. I was hoping for the B-24 that time!

Mike