A Vietnam war era incountry made NAVSUPPACT REPAIR SAIGON patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Friday all,
Having collected Vietnam war era theatre made patches for about 15 years now,I've come to know that the quality of manufacture on these pieces can range from the ridiculously bad to the sublimely beautiful.
Today I want to share a recent addition to my collection that exemplifies the beauty that can be achieved by the hands of a skilled patch maker.This little work of art displays stunning workmanship down to the smallest detail.All the text and symbols on this piece have been hand embroidered,and the dark blue border and background areas appear to be a velvet material.The border has been designed to look like a gear and is intricate as well,having been carefully cut and folded.As I hold and look at it I wonder how long it took to make this piece which probably sold for a few bucks during the war.

Last thing I wanted to mention is the motto,"The prelude to battle is the work of the Engineers"

I like that.

post-13386-0-98523000-1400299837.jpg

Patchcollector

Back view.I darkened this image to try and bring out the detail of the backing,which fully covers the piece.

A nice finishing touch.

post-13386-0-99426700-1400300579.jpg

Bill Scott

Just saw the post and you are correct sometimes the patch maker out does him or her self.It a high quality beauty.Thanks for showing it.Scotty

Just got back to the forum after vacation. What a beautiful patch! I really like the dept. type patches with the specialty marks. Thanks for showing it! :)

Dennie

Patchcollector

Thanks guys for your comments.At first glance I thought this was one of those silkscreened pieces.Whoever did the hand embroidered text and symbols was a superb seamstress.

I also like that it has "Saigon" on it.I never did like the "Ho Chi Minh City" name,it just does'nt sound as good :)