Hey guys, I picked this bayonet up the other day and wanted to see what you think. I bought this one and a civil war one from a guy I get stuff from, and I think the one might be Hessian in style, but you decide. The bayonet is exactly 12 inches long, and the socket is aout 2 and 3/4. The only mark I see is "A No. 86" on the socket. Does anyone know about this bayonet?

Thanks,

JCF

post-127572-0-93669800-1400290047.jpeg

post-127572-0-11874400-1400290049.jpeg

post-127572-0-33930200-1400290050.jpeg

post-127572-0-44557400-1400290051.jpeg

Steve Rogers

The style seems to be that called by collectors "Dutch," which is shorthand not only for Holland but for the various German states as well: relatively flat hexagonal blade, bar shoulder, heavy socket with three-step mortise. These are associated with early imports to Britain to supplement Brown Bess production as well as use by German states. I don't think anyone has untangled it all, but Erik Goldstein's book on Brown Bess bayonets deals with them. For a brief time it looked liked the versions of this bayonet that shift to a flat rectangular bar instead of edged blade near the base were Hessian (from an excavated relic find), but American use of an earlier "Dutch" variant could not be ruled out.

This is the later short shank variant of the Dutch/Liege socket bayonet, ca. 1750. Very nice find. As Steve indicates, Goldstein's book, The Socket Bayonet in the British Army 1687-1783, covers these bayonets very well.

• 1 month later...
Yankee Trader Relics

Hello JCF - Great find for 100 bucks. What you have is exactly what the other threads state it is. Dutch/Germanic bayonet/French and Indian Wars/Rev War. I wanted to add a little comment regarding the NO. 86 on the socket. The number generally references the individual in the company/regiment. The 86th man for instance. I have seen variations on the sockets C/86 on other bayonets. Company C, 86th man. I collect Rev War bayonets and I am always interested in seeing pictures of new finds as well as purchasing bayonets for the collection. Thanks for sharing.

• 6 months later...

I have an almost twin to the OP's bayonet. The 2 3/4", bottom stud, open socket is marked with "!P 14" with a 12 1/2" flat blade that is six sided, having a small guard like the OP's blade. Even the almost open weld seam shows on my socket. The inside of the socket is much larger than an 1795 Springfield musket barrel.