Eastern Front movie, which one is this?

willysmb44

willysmb44

I saw this on another forum, anyone have a clue what movie it's from? I assume it's probably one of the 1950s WW2 movies made in Russia?

post-2617-0-68468600-1400263691.gif

I saw this on another forum, anyone have a clue what movie it's from? I assume it's probably one of the 1950s WW2 movies made in Russia?

"All Quiet ON The Western Front...becuase all of the fighting is on the eastern front"?

Seriously, I have no idea, but it loks interesting. It also looks "Soviet" to me.

Mind you that this is just a guess, but I would venture that the film maybe later then the 1950's (judging from the color and special effects).

willysmb44

The 'Tiger' led me to think maybe it was 'The Road to Berlin,' but I haven't seen the film all the way through.

For years, there were rumors that the Russians used plenty of German tanks in their 50s war films, to include 'several' Tigers, but now we know they didn't apparently have a running example by then...

Darktrooper

Theres a clip of that battle on you tube. the title I think is Battle of (or for) Navaretta.

• 4 weeks later...

This clip is actually from a Russian film series called 'Osvobozhdenie' which was released in Russia in 1970-71. Not one but five separate films which each focus on a different Eastern front campaign. They're all up on Youtube.

The footage is from the first film 'Fire Bulge', which deals with the Kursk battle. Impressive Soviet scale production with fields filled with tanks and artillery and even some of those early T34/Tiger conversions. On many occasions it's also evident that the actors are firing live ammunition on the film set. A recreation of the July 20 assasination attempt on Hitler was filmed at the original Wolfsschanze. Oh and the icing on the cake are Russian actors portraying Roosevelt and Churchill.

You'll have to look past the Cold War era propaganda factor but they're enjoyable films.