Art Lights & Old Photos?

Brig

As some of you may know, I'm contemplating doing my entire hallway in old USMC portraits and yardlongs, since I have a relatively long and empty hallway. I've been contemplating strategically placing art lights to better illuminate the images. Now I know about hard light and old photos, not a good idea, etc. Now what about LED lights? I know they're relatively new in the span of things, so long term effects may not be known but I imagine they can be theorized. I use acid free paper backings, acid free paddings, and archival glass frames for the bigger/more valuable/sensitive items, but not all as the price is ridiculous so I've taken to keeping the images off the glass with the acid free matting. What do you guys think?

download.jpg

Since LEDs are cooler they might work. One thing, the light you showed is apparently exactly the same one I tried out to light a medal display. Well, long story short, after a very short time a couple of the lamps were out and the batteries were shot so take that into account as to how long you plan to illuminate them each day. These seem to run through batteries.

I am unsure about the effects of LED light on objects. I have been unable to find info in my searchings.

I am curious as well.. though I would think it would be OK as long as you just turn them on periodically.

personally I think any light over time will have an effect on old photographs.

-Brian

posted at the same time as Bob.

Thanks for that info.. I had been trying to find out if LED's had UV.

These seem to run through batteries.

I have a healthy stock of rechargables I use on the job since NVG's, etc eat them rather rapidly

Bob Hudson

One museum source says, "Light the objects, not the space." I think I'd consider using traditional lighting tracks with the LED bulbs designed to scew into tradtional lamp sockets. I see them on sale at Home Depot at what are almost reasonable prices (considering low electric use and long lifespan, they may be lots cheaper than tungsten bulbs in the long run).

I was thinking the same.having a long hallway and maybe using the track lighting in a couple of off set rows may provide lighting that you can adjust the fixtures to where you want them.Track lighting seems to be very popular and I see it used very often in new construction and remodeling these days.

The use of CFL lighting is also now being encouraged.I see this at work.We have converted over to them.Suppose to last longer and be more efficient. Im not sold on them.The areas we light are not as bright as with the old type bulbs and when the CFL bulbs burn out they get hot and melt the base.

The ONLY way I would do it, is if the images were reproductions, or if you had it set so that when no one is looking at them the lights go off. If you want to do it, just put a switch in the hallway that turns them on and off, or install a sensor so they are only on when someone is in the hall so you can't forget.

You also want to be very sure that sunlight does not get cast into the hall at odd hours.

There is NO safe way to illuminate them without slowly (or quickly) causing damage. I you want to preserve them, scan and print copies and store them, and keep the originals in a cool dry dark place.

The hall way doors are kept shut, and all of the windows have thermal blinds to reduce cooling/heating costs, so light penetration is really not an issue

The only time the hallway lights are on is when we're going down the hall at night, and I am religious about shutting it off otherwise I have to stare at the bulbs from my place on the couch, and it annoys me to no end. The most these lights would be on is when I want to admire the collection, or show it off. I don't have many visitors.

Hadn't considered the track lighting with LED bulbs...this isn't an urgent project, since I'm still framing photos (done about 15 or so, takes much more time when you're cutting the mattes yourself with an exacto blade...but MUCH more cost efficient) so hopefully I can snag a great sale on a couple of these. Seems much more cost efficient than art lights which seem to run 20-25 each on amazon, and then need 4 batteries each

Bob Hudson

I was thinking the same.having a long hallway and maybe using the track lighting in a couple of off set rows may provide lighting that you can adjust the fixtures to where you want them.Track lighting seems to be very popular and I see it used very often in new construction and remodeling these days.

The use of CFL lighting is also now being encouraged.I see this at work.We have converted over to them.Suppose to last longer and be more efficient. Im not sold on them.The areas we light are not as bright as with the old type bulbs and when the CFL bulbs burn out they get hot and melt the base.

Regarding CFL's - they are not good for lighting photos and documents because of the high UV levels:

"Fluorescent lamps are inexpensive to use but the commonly available versions emit significant UV radiation. Manufacturers do make low UV versions of all of these lamps so check the manufacturer’s website for accurate information on specific lamps. "

With the exception of the fluorescents in my garage, my entire house is now LEDs. I'm putting in two display cases and plan to use LEDs in there as well. I should be getting the LED strips today and hope to have a chance to play with them this weekend. I'm very curious to see how they work out at illuminating things. Personally, for a hallway of photos, I'd consider building indirect lighting enclosures on the ceiling and putting in LED strips. Just a thought...