Help ID unit pins in photo

stratasfan

stratasfan

Hi! I just received this photo of my uncle in the mail yesterday. It is so fabulous, as I don't have one of him in his uniform. However . . . I would love to figure out what the pins on the lower portion of his lapels are. He trained at Chanute Field as an airplane mechanic (late 1939 through the beginning of 1940). After that, I know that he was at a Western base for a short time before being sent to Alaska. The gentleman who sent me the photo thinks that the plane is an "A-17". I've never heard of that one. I know that my Uncle was a gunner/engineer on B-17s and B-24s, but he might have worked on other plane, too.

I don't see any rank patches on his sleeves, though. Could this be while he was training?

post-151812-0-95886400-1400241615.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Looks like the DUI for Air Service Command - there are a few variations but it would look like these

Air Service Command.jpg

They look like shields w/scrolls, so more like these WWII USAAF DIs.

The U.S. Army Air Force Technical Training Command

post-34986-0-42396200-1400269013.jpg

stratasfan

They look like shields w/scrolls, so more like these WWII USAAF DIs.

The U.S. Army Air Force Technical Training Command

attachicon.gifUSAAF Unit Crest.jpg

Hi! Thanks for the guess! It does look like that one! Would make sense, too. I am assuming that he is in training because he has no rank chevrons on. I looked at some auctions. It appears that some are brass and some are sterling. I found a lot of two sterling with the enameled front and one brass one. Do you think that $18 is a fair price or would you think I might do better looking at flea markets? I've never bought military stuff, so this is all new to me!

Makes sense they would be the AAC-TTCmmd.Seeing he was a gunner or mechanic.I have gotten several over the years in groups.They are relatvely common and affordable if you want a set to display with the photo and a standard AAC patch.They were even made in plastic during the war.

Salvage Sailor

Yep,

Thought I was looking at propeller tips protruding from the DUI. I can see the TTC pin now. Good call Doyler.