Looking for info on this theater made 17th Infantry patch

Siamundo

Hello all. I was hoping someone might be able to put in their 2 cents regarding any background about this patch and where, possibly when, it was made. In reference to the lettering around the bottom, at first I thought the '4.2' might refer to the mortar size, but it might actually be a dash between the numbers instead of a dot so I am thinking if this is a patch from a squad size unit-i.e. 4th Squad, 2nd Platoon? Additionally, am I correct in guessing the 'CSC' following stands for Combat Support Company? I tend to think of the 17th Infantry as being stationed in Korea, but I have read that there was a small contingent in Vietnam. On the surface I would guess this was a Korean made patch but I personally had not seen handled any Korean made patches like this with a gauze or cheesecloth backing. Thanks for any additional information you might be able to provide!

post-2744-0-56719100-1400211825.jpg

post-2744-0-66087300-1400211837.jpg

post-2744-0-54521000-1400211847.jpg

post-2744-0-33058700-1400211867.jpg

post-2744-0-77782100-1400211874.jpg

The 4.2 on the patch is indeed the weapon dash instead of the dot not withstanding, 4.2 Mortars were found in CSC Companies as platoons from late 1960 during the Pentomc era, and then HQ Companies and later E Companies in the Vietnam War era, and later in Combat Support Companies in the 70s-80s.

The unit of the 17th Infantry in Vietnam was D Co, D Co 17th Infantry (Rifle Security) June 1971-August 1972, as such it would not have a Four Deuce Mortar Platoon.

So as it does say 1st Battalion on it and CSC, it would be for that unit of the 7th Infantry Division. But from what I have seen, pieceing together bits of information, CSCs where not reintroduced into the Battalion structure till the mid 1970s, which means this patch must of been worn when the 7th Inf Div was at Fort Ord, as the 7th Infantry Division was returned from South Korea and inactivated at Fort Lewis Washington State August 1971, it was reactivated at Fort Ord October 1974.

Vintageprodutions ID of it being Korean made makes sense as it could of been contracted to be made in the ROK, but I can't see no way it would of been worn when the 7th Division was in Korea for the reasons above.

Thank you both, patches and vintage productions, for the great information. I do appreciate the detailed timeline for the unit. Cheers!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The 4.2 on the patch is indeed the weapon dash instead of the dot not withstanding, 4.2 Mortars were found in CSC Companies as platoons from late 1960 during the Pentomc era, and then HQ Companies and later E Companies in the Vietnam War era, and later in Combat Support Companies in the 70s-80s.

The unit of the 17th Infantry in Vietnam was D Co, D Co 17th Infantry (Rifle Security) June 1971-August 1972, as such it would not have a Four Deuce Mortar Platoon.

So as it does say 1st Battalion on it and CSC, it would be for that unit of the 7th Infantry Division. But from what I have seen, pieceing together bits of information, CSCs where not reintroduced into the Battalion structure till the mid 1970s, which means this patch must of been worn when the 7th Inf Div was at Fort Ord, as the 7th Infantry Division was returned from South Korea and inactivated at Fort Lewis Washington State August 1971, it was reactivated at Fort Ord October 1974.

Vintageprodutions ID of it being Korean made makes sense as it could of been contracted to be made in the ROK, but I can't see no way it would of been worn when the 7th Division was in Korea for the reasons above.

The 1st Battalion 17th Infantry Regiment remained in Korea when the 7th Infantry Division was deactivated. The 1st Bn was reassigned to the 2nd Infantry Division. They remained in Korea until it was deactivated in 1986. In 1987, it was reactivated and assigned to the 6th Infantry Division (Light) in Alaska. Just a side note, this was the first time its colors had been in America since it left back in 1943.

The 1st Battalion 17th Infantry Regiment remained in Korea when the 7th Infantry Division was deactivated. The 1st Bn was reassigned to the 2nd Infantry Division. They remained in Korea until it was deactivated in 1986. In 1987, it was reactivated and assigned to the 6th Infantry Division (Light) in Alaska. Just a side note, this was the first time its colors had been in America since it left back in 1943.

Thanks for that update, we know that the early 70s was a crazy time for orders of battle in some of the divisions due to them being inactivated etc, another example of this is the 4th inf Div, it returns to Carson, it's colors actually, and reflagges the 5th Inf Div that's there, it's short a battalion or more, those are still in Vietnam as a part of the separate 3rd Brigade 25th Inf Div, so battalions of the 5th Inf Div are kept from inactivation and just assigned to the 4th Inf Div. I recall another topic where a 17th Inf GI wearing a 2nd Div patch was posted, lets see if I can find it.

• 2 weeks later...