Wings - What era?

316th FS 324th FG

316th FS 324th FG

Ok guys, what can you tell me about these? Era? Maker? They are 3 inches wide, no markings on the backs. The clutches that came with them are marked sterling, with a star and patent numbers.

D

post-2463-1212628645.jpg

316th FS 324th FG
Hi,

Are the clutches identical to my picture in post #15 in this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=20478 ?

Robert

Thanks, that was helpful, the clutches are exactly the same. Of course my concern was the same as expressed in the other thread, that the clutches may not mean much as they could have been added later.

Any thoughts on the wing itself?

D

I agree, the posts would be longer if they were newer. Marker? Sorry it's hard to tell with this pattern...

316th FS 324th FG

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

So as a follow on question, after getting their graduation wings, did guys replace them with Balfours and Meyers and the like?

Or was it that, as they needed sets for other uniforms (Class A's etc.) they would buy additional sets?

D

Gary and Paul are correct, late war--into 50's graduation wings. No way to tell who made them really. These were based on government contracts (IIRC) that specified pattern, size, weight, etc.

One trick for telling WWII era vintage wings from later wings is the little pool of solder under the clutch back pins. Later wings tended (but not always) an electrosolder system that didnt require the solder.

As for what the pilots got, I have heard it told any number of ways. The guys were issued wings after graduating flight school, and then got their uniforms and insignia from any number of places. PX, tailor shop, uniform store, mail order, etc. It would have been up to them what they wanted, I guess.

I knew one B24 pilot who bought all his uniforms there on the base by checking boxes on a form (2 shirts, rank insignia, ties, socks, class A, etc). He told me it was delivered in a few boxes, and he never bought anything else (other than a heavy jacket) as he was only in the USAAF for a few years. I knew another 8th AAF guy who went around London on his leave looking for tailor shops to get the "best" tailored uniforms he could find (ironically, he didnt like the insignia sold in London, so used the ones he was issued). He had a funny story about spending almost his whole months salary on a pair of leather boots that were made by a famous haberdashery to the King of England. When he got the boots, he found that they were the most uncomfortable things he had ever worn and they gave him almost terminal blisters on his heels. But he was so proud that he had boots made by the guy who made the King of England's clothes, that he insisted on wearing them until the finally wore out. He told me that he was soooo happy the day the boots finally wore out and he could stop wearing them. After the war, the threw most of his uniforms away. Go figure.

Other than those two stories, almost every other vet I have ever asked about has no recollection of actually LOOKING at the wings and decidiing on any one specific pattern. They usually tell me that they just got what was given to them when they got their uniforms. That is what they tell me.

Patrick

Hi D,

It depended on the pilot and what his specialty was. I have talked to probably 500 pilots of all types(except a Liaison..I have never had the priviledge of meeting one of those guys) and for the most part fighter pilots did shop around and buy particular wings that they liked. Transport pilots tended not to. The exception for them would be Hump pilots. Those guys thought very highly of their abilities(rightly so) and so they embellished quite a bit. Bomber crew run the gamut. My wifes grandfather was the adjutant for the 379th Bombardment Group and had a large collection of wings because he didn't want to keep moving them from uniform to uniform. He was a bit of a clothes horse thumbsup.gif and in general if they had a lot of uniforms then they had a lot of wings. Hub Zemke had three wings that he wore during the war. One bullion and two silver. One English made the other his graduation wing. Interestingly enough he did not earn his senior pilot wing till after WWII! The fighter pilots missions were just not long enough duration to get them over the hump, hours wise.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

So as a follow on question, after getting their graduation wings, did guys replace them with Balfours and Meyers and the like?

Or was it that, as they needed sets for other uniforms (Class A's etc.) they would buy additional sets?

D

316th FS 324th FG

Thanks all for all the replies. I really appreciate the background info on multiple wings etc. I am starting to see the attraction you guys have and that led me to pick these up.

I'll have to see what else I can find along the way.

D