1943 Japan Submarine Buckle

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

I found this at Rose Bowl Sunday morning.

It's a pretty cool Philippine made belt buckle, but what US submarine was in or around Japan in 1943?

buckle.JPG

History Man

Very nice buckle....looks like it belonged to a Radioman CPO by the emblems.

Not sure what sub would have been in Japan at that time either.....research on the name could prove interesting.

Philip

RustyCanteen

Nice find Bob!

Researching the name will be the best bet. Believe it or not we actually had a lot of subs off Japan in 1943 conducting operations. Best guess at least in the dozens as different patrols ended and new patrols started. The buckle is interesting. I'm guessing this had to have been done circa 1945-46 based on it being made in the Philippines, but why 1943 off Japan? Something significant to that sailor I guess. Perhaps a promotion or they made a memorable patrol.

vintageproductions

Well my fingers are crossed that it's for the USS Barb ( I can dream can't I?).

Hi Bob,

Maybe your man was in one of 3 subs that made it in the Sea of Japan in July , 1943. The three submarines were the USS Plunger (SS-179), the USS Permit (SS-178), and the USS Lapon (SS-260). Then in Aug,1943 the USS Wahoo (SS-238) and the USS Plunger (SS-179) went back to the Sea of Japan and then the USS Sawfish (SS-276) and the USS Wahoo (SS-238) went out again in Oct, 1943 to the Sea of Japan.

Mitch