9th AAF pilot's tailored battle dress to DSC recipient.

wartimecollectables.com

So we are back to the first name, Carlos Maurice Talbott.

There are too many unexplainable things for it to be Talbott's, in my opinion...like what happened to the two olcs on his DUC when he became a general? Or the star on his American Defense? Or why isn't he wearing all of his DFCs and Air Medals? Just too much for it to be a perfect "lock" of an ID, unfortunately (at least IMHO)...

Although I agree, and would never purchase this jacket as a "named" uniform...I will say that his 1945 register entry only lists 5 AMs. In some cases, a man's actual entitlement wasn't sorted out until after the war. On the DUC, the disparity could have something to do with the difference between Army and AF rules for this award. The Army wears the unit's entire entitlement on the right side, while the AF (like the USN) only allows personal entitlement, and it is worn on the ribbon rack. I think I have that correct. So it could be that he only personally rated one of the DUC awards.....

On the DUC, the disparity could have something to do with the difference between Army and AF rules for this award. The Army wears the unit's entire entitlement on the right side, while the AF (like the USN) only allows personal entitlement, and it is worn on the ribbon rack. I think I have that correct. So it could be that he only personally rated one of the DUC awards.....

Now that's a thought I hadn't thought of. I think (yet have no proof) that the regulation for that came out after the war....it would be interesting to know for sure as I don't have an answer for that. Thoughts?

Kadet's post got me thinking this morning about the DUCs...there aren't many units who received 3, so technically it would be possible to track down what DSC recipient served with the units that received 3 DUCs. Then I thought...wait a second, WHAT IF he earned one (or two) and was transferred into a unit that earned another...so therefore, he could technically have been in multiple units. With that said, he could have technically been an 8th AF guy prior to joining the 9th AF. This was not unheard of, particularly later in the war when people were finishing their 25 missions and rotating back to the US - and then coming back in theater to serve again before the end of the war. Especially as a DSC recipient...he could have finished his missions, gone on a war bond drive, and then came back overseas to join the 9th. Not unheard of at all... and it's likewise not unheard of for guys to not wear their "former combat unit patch" during the war (in fact, it was pretty uncommon to do so from the photos I've seen).

So that adds on another path we could possibly go down...

Dave

wartimecollectables.com

Hmmmm.... I have no clue how to begin researching that route and it's time for the uniform to hit the webpage anyway! But I have to say, THIS kind of research is why I collect! I find this more enjoyable than any other aspect of the hobby. Thank you gents for the excellent input and feel free to add more if thoughts arise!

• 1 month later...
PGATKINSON3

I am checking with my sister to verify, but we still have my father's "captains battle dress Ike". She is going to take a picture of it that I will post. Unless he had two, this one is from someone else. We are missing his leather bomber jacket, which was stolen years ago. We have a record of all his missions also so i could confirm when he arrived in Europe. He flew in D-day and his last mission was one of the last days of the Battle of the Bulge. Paul G. Atkinson III.

I am checking with my sister to verify, but we still have my father's "captains battle dress Ike". She is going to take a picture of it that I will post. Unless he had two, this one is from someone else. We are missing his leather bomber jacket, which was stolen years ago. We have a record of all his missions also so i could confirm when he arrived in Europe. He flew in D-day and his last mission was one of the last days of the Battle of the Bulge. Paul G. Atkinson III.

If your jacket closely matches this one, he probably did have two.

wartimecollectables.com

Great to 'hear' from you Mr. Atkinson and proud of your Father's service! I still believe it was Talbot's but as was pointed out it will never be 'without a doubt' as it's unnamed. But please do post the pictures of your father's battle dress, both for comparison and to share that history with us.

Andrew

This is pretty darn cool...I think the first time we've ever been helped to ID something by a family member! :)

I'm pretty positive the Ike that started this thread isn't Atkinson's...they are just too far to match up. However, I'd LOVE to see photos of Atkinson's actual Ike to see just how close he was to his Register entries.

Mr. Atkinson, thank you for taking the time to join and I really look forward to the photos!!

Dave

doinworkinvans

I am enjoying this! Good to see the family get on board! Looking forward to narrowing this down!

• 8 months later...

Sorry to say I am just now seeing this post .

Lt Gen. Carlos (Tote) Talbott passed away Thursday , Feb 26, 2015 in Arlington, VA.

I could have asked him myself.

He was my wife's uncle.

I have several of his uniforms and other items he gave me when he sold his house in 2008. There were very few WWII items in the group I received so I cannot say for sure that it is his or not. Sorry

He was a great guy who would spend every evening watch Jeopardy and wheel of Fortune on TV then going strait to bed afterwards.

I asked him once when he was shot down what he thinking when the German pilot saluted him instead of shooting him dropping in his parachute he just said "'I'm glad they were't Japanese!"

Bob

wartimecollectables.com

Regardless of whether this is his uniform, thank you very much for the post. Always interesting to hear veterans recollections!