What NOT to do with genuine Marine issue tigerstripes

USMCRECON

Below is a picture of me wearing cotton Marine early 1967-issue tigerstripe trousers. This weas taken in late May of 1969. It's easy to date because it still has the Indianapolis Motor Speedway sticker on the windshield of my 65 Corvett eafter getting back from from the time trials.

I was changing the brake pads and what better wortk clothes to weart than an old pair of Vietnasm-worn tigerstripes.......right??

If only I knew then what I know now.

post-1107-0-95843400-1400022421.jpg

Hmmmm, tried to edit out a couple typos but could not open it in an edit window. Wonder what's up with that?

Bob Hudson

Customers often ask me about buying fatigue/utility uniform pants and I tell them pants are much, much harder to find than the shirts because ex-servicemen wore the pants for hunting, painting, car work, gardening and other dirty jobs, while the shirts - if they had them - stayed in storage because it looked too much like you were wearing a uniform if you put those on.

'Flage Guy

Great shot of both the Trousers and the 'Vette!!

Most everybody did that with that stuff back then; I remember in the mid-'70s going into surplus stores and noticing the change in stock that was slowly taking place. About then, I started thinking less and less about how much fun it was to use it, and more and more about preservation!!!!

That hindsight is clear as crystal, is it not??? :unsure:

m1ashooter

I know the feeling. I worn out a couple of sets of ERDL's and OD Jungle Fatigues in the early 70's to 80's working on the farm and camping. Had I only known.

Bob Hudson

I know the feeling. I worn out a couple of sets of ERDL's and OD Jungle Fatigues in the early 70's to 80's working on the farm and camping. Had I only known.

I once went to an estate sale and the sun-rotted cover for the barbecue in the back yard was a WWII USMC camo shelter half! I picked up it, it fell apart and I shed a tear...

That's how you could tell a real Viet Nan Vet back in the day- they wore fatigues when painting a house.

But this is nothing new. My grandfather wore some of his WW1 uniform parts while working on the farm. The boots he remembered, lasted quite a while until they fell apart.... sigh.

Mike Force

Very cool picture Bill!!

My grandfather told me he always wore some old WW2 SS camos when he went to go hunting in the 50's and 60's....

Regrads,

Mike

GeneralCheese

It's the fact people used and abused it that is is collectible today. Same with any other collectible.

when I was a boy it was common do you wear fatigue shirts or anything we can get our hands on. I had a buddy in school who had a brother in law who served in the youUDT and SEAL teams. We dug through boxes and boxes of gear and equipment. I was able to get a tiger striped shirt that fit me and I wore it until the sleeves fell off. I recall it had very large and dark black stripes, front bellows pockets with covered buttons and loop closure. I also recall there being a name written all over the pocket on the left chest and it was a vietnamese name. Fisher was very small and by the time I got into junior high I was unable to wear it. It was a great shirt and I wish I hadit back now

Thanks for all the comments, guys....and thanks for the link to the 65 Corvette site. I wish I'd had clairvoyance, both on the Vette and the Tigers but.....nevva hoppen.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 5/13/2014 at 8:18 PM, Bob Hudson said:

Customers often ask me about buying fatigue/utility uniform pants and I tell them pants are much, much harder to find than the shirts because ex-servicemen wore the pants for hunting, painting, car work, gardening and other dirty jobs, while the shirts - if they had them - stayed in storage because it looked too much like you were wearing a uniform if you put those on.

.....yep, that's what my OG 507 and khaki dress trousers became.....work clothes. My stepson used up most of my BDU's. I still have a couple shirts and an od jungle shirt. I do still have two od and my BDU field jacket. Most of the shirts probably ended up going to Goodwill or church rummage donations. You don't see any value in the stuff when you get out. I did save some of my stuff in a duffle bag until about 1992-3. Just in case they initiated the IRR.  I still have my dress uniforms. Doubt if I could get in the trousers, lol....