Opinions on T5 Chevron

gap

Is this T5 chevron authentic? I only ask because the reverse does not look like any of the other embroidered on wool chevrons I have in my collection. I have seen white cheese cloth on the rear, or a lot of white stitching in the green embroidery.

post-51748-0-02181400-1399945190.jpg

hardstripe

It could be a cutdown T4. It is hard to tell because of the angle of the photo. To be sure place the chevron face down on a scanner and create an image.

Also, hold this chevron up to an uncut T4 or sergeant chevron of the same style. If yours is a cutdown the angles of the two stripes would be the same as the angles of the two lower stripes on the sergeant chevrons. If yours is not cutdown then the angles of the stripes would be the same as the top two stripes on the sergeant.

These chevrons were often cutdown when supply did not have a factory made T5 or needed a PFC chevron. I have also seen these cutdowns with one stripe and a T. A dead giveaway for a T5 cutdown to a PFC or a T4 cutdown to a corporal.

It's not cutdown, I was only curious about the reverse side of the chevron, it was atypical.

If we're seeing the reverse clearly, it looks like the same color threads that were used for the front were also used as a bobbin thread, in that case it would be atypical, bobbin threads in general were White.

Maybe it's a "greenback"!

Would this a called a Greenback? Maybe, but not sure it would make it more rarer or more pricey then say a sholulder patch.

Patches, I referred to it as a "greenback" tongue in cheek! I'm sure it's not any more rare or valuable than any other T5 chevron. I have it's matching twin which I won on ebay for a buck (w/free shipping).

Patches, I referred to it as a "greenback" tongue in cheek! I'm sure it's not any more rare or valuable than any other T5 chevron. I have it's matching twin which I won on ebay for a buck (w/free shipping).

Oh, :lol: when I do that tongue in cheek thing I usually use this emoticon :P