15th Infantry Tientsin China 1930's photo album & more

Bob Hudson

teufelhunde.ret

Remarkable album, thx for taking time to post. I'm sure Dirk will get a rush upon seeing this album!

Bob Hudson

Here's a few more photos including some of the 15th manning barricades. The others are in the field when the unit seems to be meeting with what I assume are Chinese officials.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I found this old photo album that looks like it could be from the same era , would they have sold items like this to US military as souvineers?

post-1885-0-94112600-1400008926.jpg

Bob Hudson

I found this old photo album that looks like it could be from the same era , would they have sold items like this to US military as souvineers?

They sold all sorts of albums to US military (and no doubt to other foreign forces who occupied little bits of China in those days). One of our forum members has a great show of China souvenir albums and other items at http://chinamarine.org/SouvenirsandEphemera.aspx

Darrell is right I am enjoying seeing these, the mounted platoon link is fantastic! Bolo yes, although yours looks post WWII to me....right now I am of the opinion that embroidered albums began to be popular in the early 30's with the Chinese catering to the 15th and the Marines followed....which by the late 30's were stunning in craftsmanship and design....I think I now know who made many of them for the Peking Guard. Shanghai was the leader in leather dragon albums. Although they were also sold in Chefoo and Tientsin. After the war the quailty dropped as the Chinese were more interested in cranking out items to sell then spending weeks on an single item. They even got to the point were they were photographing embroidered works and using the photo print from the picture for an albums cover

• 4 years later...

My father was stationed with the 15th Infantry in Tientsin in the mid to late 1930s. After the Japanese invasion, I know that he went "tiger hunting" with an intelligence officer to count Japanese troop movements (he had a photographic memory). I would like to learn more about his time there and while I am a scholar this in not exactly my area. Any hlep would be greatly appreciated. I was particularly interested in the possibility of viewing more photographs such as the ones described here. Thank you.

Dear Bob,

I am working on a biography of my father who served as part of the 15th in the 1930s. Is there any way to access the photo materials you referred to in the post in 2014? Thanks. Michael Gillespie, Prof. of Political Science Duke University

Dear Bob,

I am working on a biography of my father who served as part of the 15th in the 1930s. Is there any way to access the photo materials you referred to in the post in 2014? Thanks. Michael Gillespie, Prof. of Political Science Duke University

Sorry - but I was not able to buy it and no longer have contact with the family.

Thank you. If you are interested I can send you a copy of a 35 page memoir my father (a very mart man, largely self-educated but not a professional writer) wrote in the 1970s about joining the army in 1934 and his time in the service through 1938 when the 15th left China. I would be happy to post it here but I don't see a link for attachments and don't want to drop the text in here without permission.