Vietnam USMC Pilot Helmet

anton67

That's an APH-6C helmet from VMA(AW)-121, the "Green Knights". They were in SEA from 1966-69, but as VMA-121 flying A-4E Skyhawks. They became an all-weather squadron (hence the AW) in 1969 after returning to Cherry Point and transitioned to A-6 Intruders. The helmet is most likely from after the transition to Intruders and not from Vietnam.

Correction: I just noticed your helmet has the three piece foam liner instead of the two piece of the later helmets, so it's actually an APH-6B. The ear cups are the later gray plastic type, which threw me off. They were probably replaced at some point. The APH-6A/B helmets were adopted in 1968, so it's possible this helmet could be from the VMA-121's time in Vietnam.

No problem.

Here's info on VMA-311: http://a4skyhawk.org/4e/vma311/vma311.htm

Not sure how all this fits together since the helmet is from a different squadron, but he obviously transferred from one to the other. Both squadrons were assigned to MAG-12 in Vietnam, so it's entirely possible that he transferred between the two.

Here is the type of plane he would have flown.

This is a model I found on ebay.

Notice the horse head on the side just like my helmet.

post-63438-0-06518100-1400019443.jpg

My understanding is that the Velcro patch on the visor cover is a post Vietnam thing. Thoughts?

My understanding is that the Velcro patch on the visor cover is a post Vietnam thing. Thoughts?

The velcro on the visor cover is for attachment of a strobe light to aid in SAR in the event the pilot must punch out. Since velcro was widely used on flight clothing during the Vietnam War, I don't see why it wouldn't have been applied to the helmet. It's possible the regs specified it as some specific point, but normally this sort of thing is unit SOP. We need an ALSE guy to comment on that.

A great grouping either way......any chance the thread could get moved over to the Aviation helmet section? You may get even more information over there.

I didnt realize there was a section on Aviation helmets (I generally collect M1s) sorry about that.

I will ask the administrators to move it.

BTW, the picture of the plane I posted is a 1/72 scale die-cast plane.

I may purchase it and put it with the group on display.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

APH6 with grey Sonex hearcup following MIL-H-22995A was introduced in 25 april 1969.

The black velcro on the visor for SDU5E Strobe lignt appeared in 1971 following Aircrew Systemps Bulletin n°150.

Best

Croc

So, like B229 said, the ear cups are the later gray plastic type, which were probably replaced at some point. The APH-6A/B helmets were adopted in 1968, so it's possible this helmet could be from the VMA-121's time in Vietnam.

However CROC told me in a PM that: The first APH6 is older than 1968, the first model APH6 MIL-H-22995 is from 27 july 1961.

Also, Major Buchanan was in a different squadron in 1968 (as per the article) so he could have transferred to VMA-121 during a later time in Vietnam.

As CROC knows I picked up a 1969 dated flight suit which will go nicely with this grouping.

• 10 months later...