D-Day: Normandy 1944 at the Omnimax...

WWIIWaveGal

WWIIWaveGal

I can't wait to see this. I am hoping to see it within the next few weeks. Our Omnimax theater at the St. Louis Science Center is presenting "D-Day: Normandy 1944" throughout the upcoming summer months. I would love to go see this as a re-enactor or maybe on Memorial Day weekend. Either way i'm going to make sure to have a viewing. The Omnimax is a 5 story theater, screen measures 79ft. in diameter. Also, the screen is tilted and domed with a six channel sound system that tricks the viewer into believing you’re really there. I hope this does justice to those who served and whose lives were taken on the beach that day. Reviews will come once i see it. I don't know if it will be traveling to other states once done in St. Louis. Would be neat if it did.

Sincerely yours,

Christine Albin

Johan Willaert

I saw it in Paris last month and while not bad, it wasn't as good as I expected it to be...

Still worth seeing it if you're interested in the Normandy operations, but I didn't learn anything new from it...

Looking forward to your opinion after viewing it...

WWIIWaveGal

To all - Okay - i just came home from viewing the D-Day Normandy 1944 movie at the Omnimax theater in St. Louis. I was very excited to see it and couldn't wait. Unfortunately, here is my review. I hate to say it, but i was hugely disappointed by this movie. Keep in mind, this is coming from a huge history buff who loves a good documentary. I expected to be coming out of the theater with tears considering the subject matter of the movie. Nadah, nothing. I also expected more stories from the actual veterans who hoofed it on the beaches, scaled the cliffs etc. about their experiences (what they saw, what they smelled, how they felt, etc.). Nope- only one 5-10 min interview before the movie started. It was used as a quick "thank you" to those who served. Also - it didn't just focus on D-Day. It focused on the details of D-Day and the Normandy operations and how those operations effected the outcome of the war. Hence, i felt like it skimmed over a lot of information. It's missing that WOW factor which is a huge error on the part of the director/producer. I think the veterans who saw it and lived through it as well as the WW2 generation deserve a little bit of that WOW factor. Nice graphics and visuals. But like Johan Willaert says - really didn't learn anything new from it.

All in all - is it worth 9.00 - meehhh, maybe (that's a huge maybe by the way). Is it worth the online price of 12.50 - gosh no!. Is it worth seeing twice - meehhh, not really. Although if my family wanted to see it, i would to be with the fam because they also enjoy WW2 history.

Sincerely,

Christine Albin