Please help to date USMC patches

Franky

Hello,

a friend of mine had this USMC Squadron patches in his collection but can´t say what era it is. The first is a VMF-124 and the other VMF-311. Can anyone date this?

Thank you

post-2117-1212586520.jpg

post-2117-1212586555.jpg

My sources say 1949 for the VMF 124 and 1957 for the VMF 311. Nice patches. Drop me a line if your friend needs new home for them. Any chance of seeing some photos of the backs for future reference? Jeffro

Hello,

a friend of mine had this USMC Squadron patches in his collection but can´t say what era it is. The first is a VMF-124 and the other VMF-311. Can anyone date this?

Thank you

Bob, V is for Heavier than Air-M is for Marine and the F is for Fighter. It is a bit archaic, but they had to separate the Aircraft from Airships, back in the 20's-30's, hope this helps, Mark

teufelhunde.ret
My sources say 1949 for the VMF 124 and 1957 for the VMF 311. Nice patches. Drop me a line if your friend needs new home for them. Any chance of seeing some photos of the backs for future reference? Jeffro

VMF 331 was deactivated in 1945 and were reactivated in the late 50's flying the A-4.

VMF 124 was activated in 1942 and were deactivated in 1996, flying the A-4. I do not recalled if there was a period of inactivity.