let's play baseball

usaaf93

Hi

Here is my latest garage sale find. A "US" marked baseball found near Paris.

For 50 cents, I could not leave it

post-106404-0-41025500-1399835270.jpg

RustyCanteen

That is a good find for a good price. Just to be clear that is a softball, not a baseball. Essentially similar they are actually two different types of ball used in two different games. Softball was very commonly (and still is) played by female players, so perhaps this was used by a WAC or ANC team? A baseball is 9 inches and weighs about 5 ounces, a softball is actually bigger at 12 inches.

RustyCanteen

Yes, I did not mean to be 'that guy' who corrects everything, I just wanted to illustrate the differences in the two types of games. Because of the difference it makes me think it could have been available to female members of the armed forces.

SergeantMajorGray

thanks. Maybe we can see I am from Europe !!! It's not our number one sport over here.

Actually your location isn't listed ;)

willysmb44

Softball actually was pretty popular during WW2, I was surprised to find that out a few years back...

carrabassett

It's odd that all the stitching has appeared to have been removed. I have never seen that before, especially without the cover coming loose, but then again it does say that it is "double cemented"! I have a nice WW2 wooden softball bat from a Pacific Navy vet who was an airplane mechanic. Neat item, thanks for sharing. Jim