Help needed on nurse or red cross tote?

hardheaded

hardheaded

Hi!

Help needed figuring out if this is a tote, pouch, or...? red cross, ANC, or...? and what era it is from?

Thanks in advance!

hardheaded

• 1 month later...

Not a positive ID, but that looks old enough to be WWI vintage. It may have been a home made custom item.

Not a positive ID, but that looks old enough to be WWI vintage. It may have been a home made custom item.

Thanks!

Maybe I can luck out and find some info on the name.

Wow! That is a surprise. And now that it has been described, it makes sense. These were probably made up at home and sent forward to the front with knitting supplies. Great job on identifying this!

That very well could be the correct description but I am not 100% convinced. I don't always trust e-bay for describing items.

The Red Cross did not have tan in any of their uniforms. This could have been something made at home and sent overseas but I would like a little more proof than e-bay.

I looked thru some of my reference books on women's uniforms and have not found anything like this. I will keep looking.

...Kat

That very well could be the correct description but I am not 100% convinced. I don't always trust e-bay for describing items.

What ??? You don't always trust e-bay for describing items? I couldn't agree more.

It's different and I was glad to just find a photo of something similar. If you find any ID in your books or anywhere please add the info to this post. Thank You!

I am thinking this is something that was made up by Red Cross chapters and provided to the troops. I believe the note refers to the troops doing the knitting. This makes me think this might be a UK item.

On a related note, here is a story of the American Red Cross knitting program for WWI:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=5721

Who knows yet without seeing one like it. Kinda girlie looking to me and has a female name inside. Might be UK but my guess is US.

Thank all!

• 4 weeks later...
fraukriegbaum

The ARC can use a purse/tote/bag made of cloth but should have the same color of their uniform. Most of this bags/tote are self made. The color of this tote matches the uniform of WWI American Red Cross Motor Corps 1916-1918 and this is rare. Mistly you see the Motor.Corps in gray. But yes, there is one with khaki color.

The ARC can use a purse/tote/bag made of cloth but should have the same color of their uniform. Most of this bags/tote are self made. The color of this tote matches the uniform of WWI American Red Cross Motor Corps 1916-1918 and this is rare. Mistly you see the Motor.Corps in gray. But yes, there is one with khaki color.

Thanks for the info !!!

fraukriegbaum

The ARC can use a purse/tote/bag made of cloth but should have the same color of their uniform. Most of this bags/tote are self made. The color of this tote matches the uniform of WWI American Red Cross Motor Corps 1916-1918 and this is rare. Mostly you see the Motor.Corps in gray. But yes, there is one with khaki color.

The description on Ebay is correct. I said this because I had different purses made of cloth that matches their uniform.