CPO Uniform Questions (Authenticity)

KMAG

So here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/Naval-Uniform-with-Med...1QQcmdZViewItem

My question is this, do you think the medals are original to the owner? I am questioning this because on the Uniform are the dolphins and from what I have researched enlisted personnel didnt offically get authorized the pin version until September 1950. That date is 3 months prior to when an individual in the military would have been authorized the National Defense medal, yet there is not one present.\

The GCM is id'd to a Jerome Patrick Smith in 1946.

Am I just being way to criticial and nuts on this or is this just one of things that is a wierd coincidence of the military and changing regulations and how he fell in the few month cracks in between?

thanks

I can't see the pictures either, but I wouldn't worry about it not having a National Defence Service medal. Maybe the guy just hadn't got around to having one added to his uniform, or he may not even have recieved it yet. Just because things are authorized on a certian date, doesn't mean they are added to a uniform in a matter of days or even weeks or months.

Thats a very good point. It does take time.

Just like the change over to ACU from BDU/DCU.

Or the introduction of the Special Forces tab.

Thats a very good point. It does take time.

Just like the change over to ACU from BDU/DCU.

Or the introduction of the Special Forces tab.

The ebay item # is 250254252451

seanmc1114

If your date is correct for the submarine dolphins, there should be a World War II Victory Medal with the other medals. I can understand the absence of the National Defense Service Medal, but not the Victory Medal.

....September 1950. That date is 3 months prior to when an individual in the military would have been authorized the National Defense medal, yet there is not one present....

But the NDSM itself didn't exist in 1950: "....The National Defense Service Medal (NDSM) was established by President Eisenhower per Executive Order 10448, dated 22 April 1953, for service between 27 June 1950 and a date to be announced...." (link here).