The real "Airborne" tab that goes with the 84th Infantry Division

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

I am sure that most all of you know this already, but after about 9 years of collecting WW2 SSI I just found out about this this past week, made my correction, and changed out my tab on my quilt. Maybe there are a few others out there that did not know, much like myself. I am sure if I was able to make it to conventions that someone along the way would have corrected me.

This is what the correct Airborne tab looks like that went with the 84th Infantry Division that was authorized post WW2. The edges are slanted, at 45 degree angles. The red airborne tab that goes with the 9th Aviation Engineers and other units, goes vertical on the sides.

Special thanks to www.usarmypatches.com for enlightening me. I'll be taking the vertical airborne tab off my quilt and sell it as a 9th Aviation Engineers. It may have gone with something else too.

4855294_orig.jpg

683595_orig.jpg

Yes... I call the tab ends "radial"... This red/white radial tab was also used on top of the AAF HQ patch by Aviation Engineers... The blue/white AIRBORNE tab that goes on top of the 5th Air Force patch is the same... Air/Sea Rescue.

ocsfollowme

Yes... I call the tab ends "radial"... This red/white radial tab was also used on top of the AAF HQ patch by Aviation Engineers... The blue/white AIRBORNE tab that goes on top of the 5th Air Force patch is the same... Air/Sea Rescue.

Looks like another tab that I have to hunt for =) Thanks for the info, never knew that existed.

Bill Scott

PM me your adress you can have this one for your fantastic quilt.Scotty

img652.jpg

img653.jpg

ocsfollowme

PM me your adress you can have this one for your fantastic quilt.Scotty

Scotty, I appreciate the most generous offer, but I now have an extra one of these (vertical sides)--so I will decline.

The photo pictured above was my new purchase for $20 that will go above my 84th (since it has the radial sides). I'm either going to sell my spare vertical red airborne tab or if I can find out if the vertical red airborne tab went with another patch.

Also, you should have a thank you card with a small bonus in your mailbox on Monday.

I am now hunting for the radial edges blue airborne tab to go alongside the 5th Airforce.

Steve

ocsfollowme

Pic of 5th Air Force (Air/Sea Rescue) that I mentioned in post #3. Fairly hard to find.

One day I will find one! Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to have to disagree. I have previous shown here three different examples of the red/white AB tab that came directly from the vet estate of an aviation engineer officer to me, all of which have the slanted ends. I posted them as the same guy had three slightly different variations of the patch, which I found interesting.

So the question is, where does this information come from? Mine comes directly from the MD of a Bn, and while I can't say for 100% certain he did not go and buy them post war for some reason, From the way I found the stuff in his house, and the age on all the insignia and uniforms, I'm pretty sure it was the material he came home with, and went back into civilian practice as soon as possible. I did not find any evidence he had been active in any vet association or anything, nor that he had any interest in the war once out (no books on the subject or anything).

So baring some actual evidence I have to say that the slanted sides are correct for a wartime aviation engineer patch.

You should be able to find it searching for ' aviation airborne engineer bn tabs' (sorry, can't cut and past anymore)

Hi there lets throw in a curve ball.All tabs were rescinded from 1945-48?(approx). However latest TP shows a group of GI's one (82nd)with and one (17)without Airborne tab circa 48 , worn as then current unit patch. Below was the authorized Airborne tab. Now as per drawing are we to make of this, that the white on red airborne tab for the 84th was an unofficial tab created by the Div. to make it match the patch?

Phill

post-7582-0-98107800-1399774531.jpg

• 1 year later...

The only airborne tab that I know of that went over the 84th Div was a blue and white one, I have not seen too many uniforms with that combo but never a red white one on a Id'ed uniform. Matter a fact I never used to see them together until one patch book came out with a re and white over the patch, then all of a sudden they were like that in every book.