VC Mortar Shell - SLF Operation Deckhouse One 3 D BN 5th Marines July 1966

aznation

Hello, here's my latest acquistion from an antique in Oklahoma. The plaque reads "VC MORTAR SHELL THAT HIT AND EXPLODED INSIDE THE PERIMETER OF THE 3 D BN, 5TH MARINES COMMAND POST DURING SLF OPERATION DECKHOUSE ONE: SONG CAU, RUN: JULY 1966. I'm looking for anyone information from anyone that has personal knowledge of this particular event. Also, does the item indeed look like a part of a VC mortar shell? Someone used half shell casings to make the cigarette holders however one is missing. There's supposed to be 3 of them. Anyway, the reason I purchased this was because it's a item from a particular event in a particular location during somewhat a specific date and it's one of the first Vietnam War items I have purchased. I think it's pretty neat. Thanks for looking.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

cattaraugus

That is a nice piece, hope someone has info on it for you, can you tell what the rifle casing is? 7.62/308?

Mike

Garandomatic

Looks a lot like the tail on a US 81mm, but then again, there always seemed to be a lot of similarities between US and Com-Bloc mortar rounds, if memory serves, not to mention that the VC used whatever they could get their hands on!

This was made "In Country" and engraved by locales, misspelling RUN for RVN This same thing with my cig. Lighter in '69. I still the lighter.