MC-3A Series, "U-2" Suits - any experiences?

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

Hello all,

years ago I had a project started wich "should" (could, maybe) have ended up into a High-Altitude US aviator about late '50s - early '60s, the thing didn't go on after I had a partially assembled maneqquin with only the MC-3A suit, a Life preserver and boots.

Too many difficulties for me in finding out the remaining correct items, just to mention any super-rare MA-2 helmets wich would not have been broken or deprived of oxy. hoses.

The same for the gloves - the only model being correct with a MC-3A Partial Pressure suit are the hyper-rare MCG-1 High Altitude Gloves (construction mixed, leather/ synthetics) due to their sleeve connectors - the "needle-type" pattern.

After a couple years I disposed of the items and sold away the mannequinn also. I'm somehow curious whether any of you had gone, or is currently into collecting High-Altitude gear staying within the "Partial Pressure" garments cathegory.

Thanks!! Franco.

This is 100% the actual specimen of MC-3A suit I owned in the past, currently still for sale on the Web:

post-151851-0-59213400-1399722637.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Made by "The Berger Bros." - the other High Altitude gear maker, wich could be a real challenger for the world-famous David Clark Company.

They already were making in 1944 the G-3 and G-3A anti-G pants for US fighter pilots.

post-151851-0-95706800-1399723097.jpg

post-151851-0-60813400-1399723112.jpg

My MC-3A was in still good shape, no important part missing, all zippers worked OK. Only, front and back straps for helmet's "hold-down" system had been cut off.

post-151851-0-49737400-1399723126.jpg

BlueBookGuy

My... Partial - Dressed mannequin :D wearing the Partial-Pressure MC-3A suit back some years ago ( :love: )

post-151851-0-18159500-1399723724.jpg

post-151851-0-45558300-1399723738.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Hi Geronimo,

suit is now at Bell's Aviation website, in category Rare and High Altitude items.

BlueBookGuy

To be honest, from a mere "coreography" standpoint I still like much more the older MC-1 Partial pressure suit, than the MC-3 or MC-3A models (and of course, their almost identical MC-4 and MC-4A improved variants).

Of course I'd be glad in learning of collectors' any experiences with related items - not just the Partial Pressure suit themselves.

I first-hand saw in some instances the K-1 and MA-2 helmets alone at Militaria Shows here in Italy, they invariably were missing faceplates and connections. And oxy. hoses as well...

BlueBookGuy

As said, this is 100% the very same specimen of improved variant of MC-3 suit, the MC-3A I owned in the past for a high-altitude pilot (wich never did fully materialized). Entered service in 1959.

The two rows of corset-like laces for adjustment running on front chest up the shoulders, are exclusive of MC-3 and MC-4 series of suits:

post-151851-0-42990600-1400328827.jpg

these, the correct pressure gloves (MG-1 model) would have been OK for the suit. Only these, not the older design with interlocking laces on gloves' back for adjustement:

post-151851-0-75764900-1400328849.jpg

BlueBookGuy

For a comparison: this is a top rare (not mine), early sub-variant of MC-3 (not yet the MC-3A) with some differences in hoses, connectors, and adjustment lacing.

Laces do run shorter, and in different pattern than in MC-3A - here, they would be anyway interrupted by two long zippers wich open and close on shoulders for airman's entry:

post-151851-0-65106300-1400329719.jpg

And this, the slightly older MC-1 (1955-57) less sophisticated and a bit less protective than the MC-3.

There are no laces at all on front chest/abdomen, and there isn't a full torso bladder. Hoses are different and so their connectors. This suit could have allowed for me a somehow easier display in the back years, if associated to some items not so much impossible to find.

But currently anyway, matter is over.

post-151851-0-78433800-1400330052.jpg

• 5 months later...

A quick hooking to this older topic,

had not the collection ended some years ago I shortly could have -in theory- a chance to go on with this old project about the high-altitude mannequinn.

Next November a militaria event will be not too far from here, in Italy, where one of dealers most likely will have available those "infamous" MGC-1 pressure gloves - the correct, particular subvariation wich does fit to the MC-3A partial pressure suit.

Possibly a correct MA-2 helmet made by I.L.C. firm (complete with its inner hood and all fittings) could be available too, even though the so much coveted faceplate is missing - a common thing with these particular pieces.

As said however, project was gone years ago and I even do not have the suit anymore, furthermore I'd be truly afraid of thinking the prices. Particularly helmet's, 'cause it (accordingly to seller) should be in near-perfect state... and gloves themselves, aren't a joke too.

A joy for the eyes, at least, if I'll be able to be there that day!!

Franco.

..having mentioned MA-2's faceplate, a very rare piece indeed to be found intact and complete with oxy. hose + the embedded electrical wires for defrosting.

Recently some repros of them are seen sometimes here and there, at a first glance do look relatively well-made and clear enough. Of course no defrosting wiring, neither a correct attachement inlet for the oxy. hose - this latter one too, waaay different from the real thing. Better than nothing someone could state, yes could it be.

All of this was more than appealing time ago, yet it may so be still now - great items to look at, but commanding much worrying amounts of money. As written before in my instance that project was dropped some years ago, after about half of the pilot had been temporarily assembled.

• 1 month later...

Back from a Militaria show, few indeed were the aviation's items wich really could rise above a worrying mediocrity - not a issue for me as I was accompanying a friend who, rather surprisingly I must say, is making great acceleration in starting his third mannequinn pilot in a really short time!! (must not think of those times back when Internet was unknown thing for me, and assembling a fully complete pilot could require up to three-four years if wishing to do correctly the work).

Those famous High-altitude gloves (anyway useless for me, by now) were not on display by that guy who so many times, had brought them at the show. Possibly someone already got them before - always a great pair , especially if in 100% NEW condition like those were.