Rarest M1942 jungle packs makers?

Corpsman_1941

Corpsman_1941

Im very interested what corporation is rarest M1942 jungle packs makers? Please write your candidates for rarest jungle pack maker here! I know there are quite many M1942s made by boyt , there are some made by S Froehlich... here is my candidate from my collection- Atlantic products corporation , I dont saw many m1942 packs by this maker, or am I wrong? maybe its popular maker?

PS

You can see that jungle pack is named on the top

post-117046-0-11400100-1399711056.jpg

'Flage Guy

As well as a "BOYT -42-", I have a "Goodcraft" and an "Indianapolis Tent & Awning Co.". I think the only way to really dig up the most rare maker would be for to find the records of how many of these were produced by all the individual manufacturers, plus the truly daunting task of finding out who has what maker among the collecting world.

Having a good working knowledge of contracts what is usually the case, a quantity is determined and the contracts are almost always split evenly among the contractors. One contractor may have multiple contracts but overall there is no rarer manufacturer in regards to quantity procured. On the other hand in the collector world depending on what has survived goes along with the last part of what Flage Guy said. I think one will find that there is certainly a more common manufacturer but as for the rest it is a dead heat.

Corpsman_1941

I think that Luce is papular maker, is saw quite many Luce jungle packs :unsure: but is Atlantic Corp. rare?

Where are we getting "M1942" from? These never had a model number and since there was only one type of Jungle Pack, they didn't need one. The camo ones were differentiated by designating them "Pack, Jungle, Camouflage".

I guess collectors call it that because it came out in 1942 but here is the true story from Olive drab.

Nomenclature and Stock Numbers of the Jungle Pack

In the original version (camouflage or OD fabric, smaller main compartment) this pack was designated "Pack, Jungle" with stock number 74-P-15. The later ETO version (OD fabric, larger main compartment) was known simply as "Pack, Field". This pack is sometimes referred to as M-1943 or M-1944 by collectors, but that was not an official designation.

Craig

I think that Luce is papular maker, is saw quite many Luce jungle packs :unsure: but is Atlantic Corp. rare?

Alantic Products Corporation made other web gear items besides packs, if memory serves. I have a camouflage Jungle Pack made by Atlantic Products. I wouldn't catagorize them as particularly rare, they seem to be a fairy common manufacturer.

'Flage Guy

mines a 43 dated Hinson

I know Hinson made camo J.P.s and '43 Field Packs, but I wonder if they made the '42 O.D. #5s as well. Anybody out there got one?

post-3226-0-18307000-1400128564.jpg

Bellumbill

Okay for some reason I can't load photos on here but here's a maker I hadn't heard of previously for a camouflaged jungle pack. What say you guys rare maker or not?

"Laird Schober"

Best, Bill K.

'Flage Guy

Bellum: I've seen a number of "Laird Schober" camo Packs, so I wouldn't say they were any rarer than the Packs themselves. That's just my own experience.

Bellumbill

Bellum: I've seen a number of "Laird Schober" camo Packs, so I wouldn't say they were any rarer than the Packs themselves. That's just my own experience.

As you say the packs are generally just rare - Maybe IF it could be organized we could ask as many as we can get on this site who own camouflage jungle packs to each name who theirs in manufactured by. Then, see which is the lowest number? Maybe that way we can begin to extrapolate some conclusions?

Best,

Bill

'Flage Guy

That would be the only way to find out how many of what makers of these Packs survived...and it would not be easy at all to pull that one off!

Just for the record, I've seen more camo Jungle Packs than I have the early '42 O.D. ones, which this thread is concerned with. Again, that's just my experience.

If one was inclined do an eBay completed auctions and current auctions also Worthpoint for jungle packs you could accumulate a good list

'Flage Guy

If one was inclined do an eBay completed auctions and current auctions also Worthpoint for jungle packs you could accumulate a good list

Considering the huge number of people who utilize Ebay and Worthpoint(not to mention the good stuff that consistently haunts their listings), that would be a great start!

Also new eBay listings occur within every seven days, the standard listing run time. So the question is those who want to know will they take the time to do some research for an extended period of time.

Corpsman_1941

Those makers are interesting... anyone have ideas where M1942s were using in battles? M1942 was experimental only or am I wrong?

The early type packs saw the combat in the PTO both the OD and camo's and yes the Army & Marines used them. The later type packs saw more of the combat in the ETO.

Craig

I use to have an affection for jungle warfare material having a considerable collection of it and still like the arena. You will find the OD and Camo jungle packs in use by Army and Marines starting with the New Guinea and latter Solomon campaigns continuing through the duration of the war. You will find their use with the Army within the rest of their campaigns but not to sure about marines Peleliu, Iwo and Okinawa however I think I recall the Marines using them on Peleliu. Also you have to consider the CBI in which they were used.

The larger Field Pack cousin being the prime candidate for replacing the M1928 haversack are seen in use in late ETO campaigns, Rhine River crossing era. I don't recall any evidence of them being used in the PTO.

On the discussion of rare, what is rare are the rubberized inserts for the jungle packs. The larger Field Pack utilized the standard waterproof clothing bag also referenced as a waterproof bag for the mountain/arctic sleeping pack set.

Robinb on the forum here has two which came from my collection years ago. For the rubberized bags there are three sizes used for various applications the jungle food bag, rubberized insert jungle pack and rubberized bag clothing/mountain all three being constructed the same differing in dimensions.

Dustin,

great info - you wouldn't happen to have a pictures of the waterproof inserts or dimensions. I have a few and was not aware that this could/would be used inside a jungle packs - thanks for your help

mike

• 5 years later...
Browninggunner688

Hi all.

Just resurecting this thread, I have just purchased a nice BOYLE 1942 jungle pack.

This is a maker I haven't seen for these packs, this can be added to the makers list.

Nick.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd chime posting my Jungle pack. Anyone can make out what the manufacturer is?
I can hardly make out "R   HODUCH  IN"

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-26 at 10.20.55 AM.jpeg