SgtMaj of the Marine Corps bullion chevrons

stucky151

Just picked these up on a whim, what do you guys think? Early 70s? Were these ever worn? Look forward to your opinions.

post-52581-0-83494300-1399691202.jpg

Bruce Linz

Hello,

Those certainly are interesting chevrons, thanks for showing them. I think they are fantasy pieces. Before I believe they are legit I'd have to see some photographic evidence of them being worn. The Marine Corps is extremely strict on things like this.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Rakkasan187

They look a little thick to me, not as narrow as the regulation chevrons.

Here is a picture of the current Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Chevrons..

Leigh

post-5554-0-64030500-1399733361.jpg

post-5554-0-94211600-1399733370.jpg

Bruce Linz

Chevrons of that width are worn on the Staff Non-Commissioned Officer's Evening Dress Uniform and Mess Dress Uniform (E6 and above). The real issue here is that these chevrons are bullion on felt. Marines do not typically wear bullion rank isignia or hash marks.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Rakkasan187

I am an instructor at the United States Army Sergeant's Major Academy at Fort, Bliss Texas. There are currently 6 Marine's attending the academy. I will show the pictures to them and see what they think, and if they ever saw these type of chevrons being worn by the SMMC.

Will let you know after I talk to them on Monday. They are really beautiful by the way

Leigh

Even if they are fantasy, they look incredible in person. They have the look of age on them, and are definitely made of high quality material. They were pretty cheap, so I couldnt lose out that bad. And yes, these are the mess dress chevrons and are the same size as the ones I currently wear.