Grenade lot

carrabassett

carrabassett

Picked these up this weekend from a fellow collector. I believe there is a WW1, maybe a few interwar, WW2 and post grenades? I am no expert in this field and I'm not sure about the grenade without a fuse or the mortar looking piece. It's dated 1940 on the body and the bottom but is it US? Thought they would be great for display. Would appreciate any info or ID. Thanks for looking! JIm

post-3604-0-22710200-1399599640.jpg post-3604-0-06361500-1399599646.jpg post-3604-0-95504500-1399599650.jpg

I believe the grenade without the fuze is a French F1 grenade, which was used by American forces in WWI.

At first glance , I thought the F1 may have been early Russian, but casting looks little too "clean"

Is have to say its Polish. Czech, or another Balkinstate.Trouble w/ F1's is they were used a LOT of different countries. Other grenades are, I think: Lto R: MKI w / lead portion of fuse damaged; a very nice looking MKII (Or MKIIA1 ) ; MKII PRACTICE w/ spoon from smoke grenade; a nice M30 practice ; nothing (imported,) ; the ? F1; & someone else will have to tackle the mortar rd. nice lot of grenades there.

carrabassett

Thanks for the info guys! I paid $140 for the lot so I think I did okay. My son likes old ordnance so I pick it up from time to time if I can find it.

Nice instant collection. I believe the grenade that was identified as a practice "M30" is actually a M21 practice grenade. I also agree that the object in between the M21 and the F-1 body is not a grenade.

Chris

Thanks Chris, of course M21 rather than the practice lemon. I always do that, for some reason. I'll think of one & text another. Anyway thanks for correcting my typo, Chris!

Coconut Harry

At first glance , I thought the F1 may have been early Russian, but casting looks little too "clean"

Is have to say its Polish. Czech, or another Balkinstate.Trouble w/ F1's is they were used a LOT of different countries. Other grenades are, I think: Lto R: MKI w / lead portion of fuse damaged; a very nice looking MKII (Or MKIIA1 ) ; MKII PRACTICE w/ spoon from smoke grenade; a nice M30 practice ; nothing (imported,) ; the ? F1; & someone else will have to tackle the mortar rd. nice lot of grenades there.

Coconut Harry

Ooooops.... Sorry for double post, I am attempting to answer this question about the mortar round via a smart phone And messed up due to a brain fart

Timmymac said: "someone else will have to tackle the mortar rd"

The mortar round in question is a World War II French 50 mm round And in nice shape with lots of original paint and markings, very nice find.

The Germans captured Thousands of these and the launchers and put them to their own use. They were quite frequently used by Luftwaffe paratroopers as they were very light, small and portable.

The Germans also used these small mortar rounds as improvised landmines called the "W1" which I happen to have a example of if you would like to see it. The Germans made a special Bakelite adapter for the nose end to install any type of their many pressure, pull, chemical etc. mine/boobytrap fuzes.

Regards, Steve

carrabassett

Steve,

Thanks so much for your informative response. I would love to see a picture of the "W1". I was really fortunate to pick up the whole grouping as it did become an instant collection. Even more interesting than I thought!

Thanks again,

Jim