Antique sword marked J.P. WALSH

Keith

I acquired a fraternal/society sword of the US 1860 Field and Staff Officer pattern. The maker or retailer name on the blade is J.P. WALSH. Internet search has revealed nothing. Has anyone heard of this maker? I will assume they are like Pettybone or M.C. Lilly from the Civil War era. Thanks.

Most probably a small retailer or supplier as I don't find him listed in Bezdek. No city listed?

post-2830-0-57611500-1399558941.jpg

Sarge. I cleaned up some more of the blade and there was, at one time, more info on the blade. I just can't make out what the city is, but I think I see a "Y" near the end so it could have been "SOMETHING NY". It is so dim and rusted I just can't be sure of any of the letters. keith

post-2830-0-38863800-1399558975.jpg

Do you have photos of the entire sword? Do you know which fraternal group it belongs to?

Hi and thanks. I can do photos of the sword later today. Research found that the scabbard and sword were serial numbered. I can find the serial number "10" two places in the scabbard but can not find it on the sword. It may have been in that area that is unreadable. It is marked on the clamshell A.O.H. which is the Ancient Order of Hibernian which was founded in 1836. It was/is an Irish-Catholic organization. Thanks.

A nice fraternal sword variation Keith. The numbers on the parts are simply assembly numbers so the fitters could construct the sword out of the correct parts and have no significance other than as factory assembly numbers. If you can figure out the NY city name you might be able to look in the City Directory for that name but the marking is not really the maker but the military tailor/retailer in all likelyhood.