US COAST GUARD The Other Naval Service - USCG Patches

Garth Thompson

MastersMate

Minor side note about the Squadron Three jacket patch. The 1968 patch that I picked up in Subic Bay actually read Squadron THEE. I took a couple of months until it sunk in just what was different. Had it on the blue work jacket that just disappeared over time.

USCGLORANVETERANS

Hello... I am New to the Site... A USCG LORAN VETERAN... And Patch Lover!

I am in the process of Rescuing as much LORAN & LORSTA History as possible...

I would love to get in touch with "Salvage Sailor" and any other Member that has LORAN related patches... Your LORAN Patches Are Important as they represent the Stations they were made for.

Sadly many of the LORAN Veterans have lost All of their keepsakes and cannot help us Honor the Memories of their Stations, Crews and LORAN Service...

I will be posting LORAN related patches that our group members have shared...

Again... IF you have any LORAN related patches and would like to help us rescue our LORAN History please contact me anytime! @ [email protected]

YOUR LORAN PATCHES CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Help us rescue the Memories of our LORSTAs!

Thank you for any help you can give in advance...

Ray Rebmann Jr.

USCG LORAN VETERANS

USCG LORSTA VETERANS

Ps... SALVAGE SAILOR... If you read this message PLEASE contact me when you can! ?post-162717-0-92697500-1463570420.jpeg

firefighter

Wishful thinking or an error patch? The patch on the left is the 13th District Station at Chetco River.

Gateway to the 14th District? Brah, it's a long way to Hawaii.....

First of all that is one cool design.I like the waves as claws. From what I can find it looks like it should be 13th District.And yes 14th District is Hawaii.Cool variation/mistake patch.

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

Hello... I am New to the Site... A USCG LORAN VETERAN... And Patch Lover!

I am in the process of Rescuing as much LORAN & LORSTA History as possible...

I would love to get in touch with "Salvage Sailor" and any other Member that has LORAN related patches... Your LORAN Patches Are Important as they represent the Stations they were made for.

Sadly many of the LORAN Veterans have lost All of their keepsakes and cannot help us Honor the Memories of their Stations, Crews and LORAN Service...

I will be posting LORAN related patches that our group members have shared...

Again... IF you have any LORAN related patches and would like to help us rescue our LORAN History please contact me anytime! @ [email protected]

YOUR LORAN PATCHES CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Help us rescue the Memories of our LORSTAs!

Thank you for any help you can give in advance...

Ray Rebmann Jr.

USCG LORAN VETERANS

USCG LORSTA VETERANS

Ps... SALVAGE SAILOR... If you read this message PLEASE contact me when you can! attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Aloha Ray,

Been offline and "far away" for a few months. Feel free to drop me a line via PM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

About a year before we put her out of commission, the crew decided we needed a ships patch. We hashed around some ideas and came up with this for the cutter. Strictly crew funded, we had 24 made up. The crew was 20, every one got one, one is in the CG Museum NW and not sure where the other three disappeared to...

post-162267-0-95328600-1474822561.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

Owasco class High Endurance Cutter USCGC ESCANABA (WHEC-64) In service 1946 to 1974

She was homeported at New Bedford Mass. from 1957 to 1973

WHEC 64 USCGC ESCANBA 001.jpg

WHEC 64 USCGC ESCANBA 002.jpg

WHEC 64 USCGC ESCANBA 003.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The cutter I posted above is the second USCGC ESCANABA, named after the first which was sunk during a convoy battle on June 13th 1943 leaving only two survivors from her 105 man crew.

This is the third USCGC ESCANABA (WMEC-907), a Famous class medium endurance cutter commissioned on August 29th, 1987 - "The Spirit Lives On"

WMEC 907 USCGC ESCANABA 001.jpg

WMEC 907 USCGC ESCANABA 002.jpg

WMEC 907 USCGC ESCANABA 003.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Smaller PI made patch.

.b825dca765bba77b7289e65616adf33b.jpg

Here's the full size patch of USCGC BASSWOOD (WLB-388) In service 1944 to 1998, an Iris class buoy tender which was the station ship for Micronesia for 30 years homeported in Guam

WLB 388 USCGC BASSWOOD 001.jpg

WLB 388 USCGC BASSWOOD 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 2/23/2016 at 1:09 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Treasury class USCGC DUANE (WHEC-33) circa 1970's when she was at Portland, Maine

When she was finally decommissioned in 1985 she was the oldest military vessel in service.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/duane_wpg33_photos.asp

Found my Market Time USCGC DUANE (WHEC-33) Guardian of the Seas patch. She was the flagship of Coast Guard Squadron Three in 1967-1968

WHEC 33 USCGC DUANE 003.jpg

I took a long break from posting my Coastie collection but will be putting up more starting with the Medium Endurance Cutters and other hulls soon.

WHEC 33 USCGC DUANE 004.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Reliance Class Leader circa 1964 (as WTR-615, Training ship for the class)

USCGC Reliance (WMEC-615) is a United States Coast Guard medium endurance cutter. She is the first of the 210' Medium Endurance Cutter Fleet and the fourth Revenue Cutter / Coast Guard Cutter to bear the name Reliance. Constructed by Todd Shipyards in Houston, Texas and commissioned in 1964, she was originally homeported in Corpus Christi, Texas. Her duties included offshore oil rig inspections, fisheries, counter drug, alien migrant interdiction and marine pollution patrols and of course, Search and Rescue. Reliance has been homeported in Yorktown, Virginia, Port Canaveral, Florida and New Castle, New Hampshire. She is currently stationed at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine.

WTR 615 WMEC 615 USCGC RELIANCE 004.jpg

WTR 615 WMEC 615 USCGC RELIANCE 005.jpg

WTR 615 WMEC 615 USCGC RELIANCE 006.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Reliance class Medium Endurance Cutter USCGC DILIGENCE (WMEC-616) Commissioned in 1964, still in active service at Wilmington, DE

DILIGENCE VI, the current DILIGENCE was commissioned in 1964. DILIGENCE VI is a 210', diesel powered, helicopter-capable Coast Guard cutter with 76 crewmembers. DILIGENCE VI was originally homeported in Key West, Florida but changed homeports to Cape Canaveral, Florida in 1983. In 1990, DILIGENCE VI was temporarily decommissioned for modernization. In 1992, following a 28 million dollar refurbishment, a virtually brand new, rebuilt, DILIGENCE VI was placed back in commission and homeported in Wilmington, North Carolina.

Key West patch and current patch

WMEC 616 USCGC DILIGENCE 003.jpg

USCGC DILIGENCE (WMEC-616) Key West, Florida

From Wiki

The cutter Diligence was seen in the 1966 science fiction movie Around the World Under the Sea starring Lloyd Bridges.

WMEC 616 USCGC DILIGENCE 001.jpg

On April 23, 1982, the Diligence was attacked by the navy of the newly declared Conch Republic when Key West announced that day that it was seceding from the Union in a dispute over a U.S. Border Patrol roadblock and inspection point further up the Florida Keys in front of Skeeter's Last Chance Saloon. The sailing Schooner "Western Union", under command of Captain John Kraus, went forth into the harbor at Key West and attacked the cutter with water balloons, Conch fritters and stale Cuban bread. The Diligence fought back with fire hoses, and thus commenced the "Great Battle of the Conch Republic." Vastly outgunned, the Conch Republic's Prime Minister (Mayor Dennis Wardlow) promptly surrendered to a man dressed in a naval uniform, and requested one billion dollars in foreign aid from the United States government. The road block was quietly removed by the Border Patrol after the great publicity that was generated.

WMEC 616 USCGC DILIGENCE 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USCGC VIGILANT (WMEC-617) Commissioned in 1964, still in service. Note the price tag from the USCG store at Cape Cod

Vigilant / Kudirka incident
On November 23, 1970, Simonas "Simas" Kudirka, a Soviet seaman of Lithuanian origin, leapt from the 400-foot (120 m) mother ship Sovetskaya Litva, anchored in U.S waters near Aquinnah, Massachusetts, on Martha's Vineyard, aboard Vigilant, sailing from New Bedford, Massachusetts. The Soviets accused Kudirka of theft of 3,000 rubles from the ship's safe. Ten hours passed. After attempts to get the U.S. State Department to provide guidance failed, Rear Admiral William B. Ellis, commander of the First Coast Guard District, ordered Commander Ralph E. Eustis to return Kudirka to the Soviets. Commander Eustis refused to subject his own crew to the task and instead permitted a detachment of Soviet seamen to board the Vigilant to return Kudirka to the Soviet ship. (The engineering crew had offered to hide Kudirka in the engine air intake shaft which could not be opened while the engines were running but the offer was declined.) This led to a change in asylum policy by the U.S. Coast Guard. Admiral Ellis and his chief of staff were given administrative punishment under Article 15 of the UCMJ. Commander Eustis was given a non-punitive letter of reprimand and assigned to shore duty.
Subsequent investigations revealed that Kudirka could claim American citizenship through his mother and was allowed to come to the United States in 1974.
A book detailing the incident, Day of Shame, by Algis Ruksenas, was published in 1973. The book helped spur further investigations into the incident that eventually led to Kudirka's release by the Soviets. It remains part of the reading curriculum in the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

WMEC 617 USCGC VIGILANT 001.jpg

WMEC 617 USCGC VIGILANT 002.jpg