US COAST GUARD The Other Naval Service - USCG Patches

Garth Thompson

Salvage Sailor

ex-USN Barnegat class seaplane tender USCGC UNIMAK (WHEC-379) in service 1943 to 1988 http://www.uscg.mil/tcyorktown/info/History/Cutters/unimak.asp

This is her reactivation patch from 1977 when she was assigned to fisheries patrol out of New Bedford, Mass.

WHEC 379 USCGC UNIMAK 1977 001.jpg

U.S.C.G.C. UNIMAK "The Lone Ranger" - Fisheries Patrol Enforcement

WHEC 379 USCGC UNIMAK 1977 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USCGC CASTLE ROCK (WHEC-383)ex-USN Barnegat class seaplane tender in service 1944 to 1971.  Served in Vietnamese waters as part of USCG Squadron 3 and then....

WHEC 383 USCGC CASTLE ROCK 001.jpg

Decommissioned by the Coast Guard, 21 December 1971 Transferred to South Vietnam, renamed RVNS Tran Binh Trong (HQ-5), Fled from Vietnam at the fall of Saigon in circa 1975

USCG Squadron 3 Vietnam 001.jpg

Custody assumed by Philippines circa 1975, renamed BRP Francisco Dagahoy (PF-10) Decommissioned by Philippine Navy, date unknown Final Disposition, disposed of, probably scrapped, in March 1993
Salvage Sailor

More ACACIA (WLB-406) patches. The one on the left is from the 1990's, the one on the right is her last patch. She was decommissioned in 2006

WLB Buoy Tenders 006.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Another MALLOW (WLB-396) patch from the early 1980's when her homeport was Honolulu (difficult to read but it's written in black on dark blue at the bottom of the patch. She was decommissioned in 1997

WLB Buoy Tenders 007.jpg

WLB Buoy Tenders 008.jpg

Salvage Sailor

180' Buoy Tenders USCGC BRAMBLE (WLB-392) 1990's and USCGC SALVIA (WLB-400) 1980's

BRAMBLE was decommissioned in 2003 and SALVIA in 1991.

SALVIA was returned to the Navy and became the USN Salvage school vessel at Little Creek, VA

WLB Buoy Tenders 011.jpg

Salvage Sailor thank you for taking the time to scan and upload all of those beauties.This thread 5 years from now will still be around and teaching the young collectors if you take your time and have a love of the hobby just what you can achieve.Great looking insignia to an under appreciated branch of service.Thanks Scotty

Salvage Sailor

180' Buoy Tenders CONIFER (WLB-301) and PLANETREE (WLB-307) 1980's/90's

CONIFER was decommissioned in 2000 and PLANETREE in 1999

WLB Buoy Tenders 012.jpg

WLB Buoy Tenders 013.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Thanks Scotty,

When I was clearing out some stuff in my warehouse I came across these which had been sitting around since the 1990's. Quite a pleasant surprise when I realized how many were in there. I'm almost done with the WLB's, what do you guys want to see next? I've got all classes of ships, groups, stations, aviation, districts, schools etc. Lots of photos and ephemera too.

Please members, add your own stuff to the topic. Garth, I know you have a WLB or two in your stash including the BALSAM and Patchcollector has the RUSH

Below - Fleet Tug CHEROKEE and high endurance cutter RUSH when she was homeported at San Francisco

USCGC CHEROKEE 01.jpg

USCGC RUSH WHEC 723 01.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USCGC JUNIPER (WLB-201) - This is her plankowner patch and first station patch from 1996. Probably the newest patches in the stash.

The USCGC COWSLIP (WLB-277) patches are current gluebacks which I picked up recently, she was decommissioned in 2002. The USCGC SPAR (WLB-206), not to be confused with the SPAR previously posted, is also modern glueback as it is from her 2001 Commissioning and she is still in service homeport Kodiak, Alaska The Aleutian Keeper http://www.uscg.mil/d17/cgcspar/

WLB Buoy Tenders 014.jpg

WLB Buoy Tenders 015.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here's an interesting one. President Trumans Pirate Radio Station USCGC COURIER (WTR-410), commissioned as WAGR-410 she was the only Voice of America mobile radio station from 17 July 1952 to 13 August 1964 also earning the distinction of being the longest overseas deployment. Redesignated in 1965 as WTR-410, this patch reflects her reassignment to Reserve Training at Yorktown, VA.

President Trumans' Pirate Radio Station http://www.uscg.mil/tcyorktown/info/History/Cutters/courier.asp

WTR 410 USCGC COURIER 001.jpg

WTR 410 USCGC COURIER 002a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Garth posted that terrific Woods Hole Group patch on page one, here's the White class 133' Buoy Tender that worked Woods Hole from 1950 to 1988

USCGC WHITE SAGE (WAGL-544) ATON Aids To Navigation SAR Search And Rescue tender in service 1944 to 1999 http://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/White_Sage_1947.asp

WAGL 544 WHITE SAGE Woods Hole SAR 001.jpg