Tank Destroyer DSC Italy campaign group

nbolinger

nbolinger

Picked this group up off a friend who ran it threw auction a few years ago. The group was mounted in a frame and i still have the frame, The group came with a copy of his citation , all the medals that are numbered fall into the 5th army range. Neat group i think !

post-9905-0-60055200-1399494976.jpg

Jim Baker

Now that's what I'm talking about. NICE!!! Really nice.

There are just never enough nice TD groups on here.

loveofmylife89

I was meaning to ask the same thing how would would a tank destroyer get the air medal ?? Other wise it is an awesome grouping. The air medal is awarded for merits In the air or number of combat missions right ?? Maybe he help save men when an aircraft was it with flak ?? Just a possibility

loveofmylife89

I meant to add Combat missions performed on a plane but those would only have went to members of the air crew.

KASTAUFFER

He may have been an aerial observer or spotted for artillery at some point.

Kurt

Jim Baker

He may have been an aerial observer or spotted for artillery at some point.

Kurt

That would also be my thought. TD's were frequently used in the role of artillery.

Or, he could have been part of an artillery unit at one time.

nbolinger

Thanks to all for your time. I like the group a little more because of the picture. Thanks for your help guys!

This DSC #11435 issued via the 5th Army for Italy falls tantalizingly close to my unattributed DSC #11429. All I know about it is that it was found in a pawn shop in Reno, Nevada. It came in an untitled, pearl button case which was used for early WW2 awards.

The DSCs in the 10,xxx to 12,xxx range have a distinctive ribbon variety, compared to the WW1 ribbon or to rhe ribbon used on higher numbered DSCs. The red edge stripes are wider and have an orange-red color, compared to the narrower, dark red stripes of the WW1 ribbon stock. Next, the white stripes are narrower than those of the WW1 ribbon. Finally, the blue center stripe has a slightly lighter, royal blue color, compared to the dark indigo blue of the WW1 ribbon.

Outstanding group Nole!!!!!!!!!!! Been after a similar 45th related group(with an A/M) for a long time and have yet to come across one.

You might want to check which T/D and Tank battalions were attached to the 34th inf. That was their AO on that date.

http://www.34thinfantry.com/imgs_maps/08anzio-tarquina_bk1.jpg

The 191st Tank Battalion was attached to the 34th up until the 4th of June when relieved by the 753rd Tank Battalion. A couple of the #'d hearts issued via 191st G.O.'s #'s 5 and 6 are even right it the range of yours.