A Lucky Find on eBay

bertmedals

bertmedals
Sometimes on eBay you just get lucky. One of the thing I collect are WWI welcome home pins. On this one -- a welcome home pin for the Wellington Rifles -- I was surprised to be the only bidder. The Wellington Rifles were constituted in Worcester, MA in May, 1894 as one of a number of independent militia companies that formed following the Civil War. They were mobilized for the Spanish-American War (Santiago) and served on the Mexican border as part of the 2nd Massachusetts Infantry Regiment (the only National Guard regiment to cross the border during the Punitive Expedition).
For WWI the Wellington Rifles were mustered in as H Company, 104th Infantry Regiment, 26th Division and served in all the 26th’s campaigns and battles in France. The 104th Infantry was the first US regiment to earn the French Croix de Guerre (w/ Gilt Star) for Apremont (Toul sector), April 10-13, 1918.
After WWI the Wellington Rifles were redesignated as D Company, 181st Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division. The 181st was apparently used as replacements during WWII and after the war the Wellington Rifles were redesignated as HHC, 1st Battalion, 181st Infantry Regiment. The company has had tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Unit specific welcome home pins below division level are tough to find and this one, to a single company, is pretty scarce. It recognizes not only Company H’s return from France but its 25th anniversary as well. I was surprised to get it and expected that one of the 26th Division collectors would overwhelm me. C'est la guerre, I guess.
Dennis

post-1496-0-54115800-1399494305.jpg

bertmedals

Here is a picture of the back showing the Worcester, MA maker's label.

post-1496-0-24591800-1399494591.jpg

HHC, 1st Battalion, 181st Infantry Regiment. The company has had tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Dennis

Dennis,

Lucky indeed! That is my former unit!!!! I am going to share this thread with a bunch of the guys that I am still in touch with; at least one I know of is a member here. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!!!

bertmedals

Dennis,

Lucky indeed! That is my former unit!!!! I am going to share this thread with a bunch of the guys that I am still in touch with; at least one I know of is a member here. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!!!

Well that is something! Thanks for letting me know and send my regards to your friends from the Wellington Rifles.

Dennis

Dennis, That's a very nice pin; have you considered posted more of your collection? I'd like to see some!

Pete

bertmedals

Dennis, That's a very nice pin; have you considered posted more of your collection? I'd like to see some!

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for asking. I will post more of my collection in a few weeks.

Dennis

• 4 months later...
USCapturephotos

Really interesting history and find. I have always enjoyed the Welcome Home buttons and have never seen one this specific. Thanks.

Paul