What are these rockets?

Flashlarue

New photo I found today. I won't show the pass in review taking place in the foreground. What I am wondering about are the two rockets in the background, what are they? Judging from the cars I would say it is about 1956-1957.

First rocket and launcher.

post-87451-0-99770800-1399427875.jpg

Second rocket on launcher.

post-87451-0-18463300-1399427939.jpg

The second missile is a MIM-3 Nike Ajax. It was the USA's first surface to air missile, entered service just after the Korean War in 1954.

13M40(RET)

I worked with the HJ rocket for a year in Turkey. There weren't enough 15F troops due to it being phased out so they filled the slots with 15D's. We got to supervise the Turk firing sections while they each live fired one day. Lots of fun!

1SG_1st_Cav

That is Ft Bliss, TX. In the full view you'll see two larger missiles crossed. Those are Corporal Missiles. The Honest John Rocket is from the 2nd Missile Bn, 30th Artillery in 1957-58. I too served in Honest John Rocket with the 5th Bn, 32nd FA at Ft Riley [68-69] and the 3rd Bn, 32nd FA at Ft Sill [70-71], 1st Lance Missile Battalion [Provisional] {TEST} [71-72], 1st LANCE Bn, 12th FA [72-73] Ft Sill, and the 1st LANCE Bn, 333rd FA [76-78] Wiesbaden, Germany. Danny [13Y5M]

• 4 months later...

My National Guard unit in Indiana (service from 1972-1978) was an Honest John unit when I was in until about 1976 +/-. I was on a launcher crew and went to Fort Sill for training after basic.

The rail was directly mounted on a 5 ton truck chassis then. We loaded the rocket on the rail using a wrecker. We transitioned to 105 Howitzer -towed in about 1976.

I would love to find a copy of an FM for the Honest John.

Almost forgot to add, the Honest John was nuclear capable. We all had to get a security clearance for be on the crew. We were told the fallout range was 25 miles and the maximum missile range was 20 miles. I guess it would have been fire and then bend over and kiss your rump goodbye.

• 6 months later...
Cobrahistorian

The third missile in the pic is the Corporal. We've got examples of each here at Ft. Sill now.

Rakkasan187

Now that Ft Bliss is home to the 1st Armored Division, there is very little left that would indicate this was the Air Defense Artillery center.. Most of the Air Defense displays have all moved up to Ft Sill, Oklahoma. There are still a few static pieces of ADA equipment here but I beleive they will be on permanant display here. One of the displays is a V2 rocket.

Leigh

1SG_1st_Cav

The 2nd Bn, 30th FA moved to Ft Sill, OK in 1964 and was inactivated on 25 October 1968. From 1 February 1952 until 25 October 1968 this unit had fired 296 Honest John Rockets and 61 Little John Rockets. This record was no broken.

A piece of trivia: In August 1959, command of the 2nd Missile Bn, 30th FA was passed to LTC Paul B. McCain [COL Retired].

His nephew is Senator John McCain.

Dan Gillotti, President & Historian, 30th Field Artillery Regiment Association

• 1 month later...
Cobrahistorian

Leigh,

Nope. The V-2 is coming to Sill as well. I'm working transportation for it now. There's plenty going on that I'd be happy to talk to you offline about.

v/r

Jon

• 8 months later...