robert60446

Coloring / restoring old pictures

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone is addicted to coloring / restoring old pictures, here is my latest “painting” job on portrait picture of one of my family members…

Original picture is included on the right side...please feel free to ask any questions or comments. I'm willing to learn and to help on this subject if anyone is interested in color "restoration" techniques...

Henry_Color_Blackcopy.jpg

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

Robert,

I used to do a lot of restoration work, ( and taught Photoshop) but don't think you have much to learn thumbsup.gif

That is frankly one of the best recoloring jobs I have ever seen! Now many hours you have into that one?

Paul

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

Thanks Paul! Let’s just say I have used more than 20 layers in Photoshop… thumbsup.gif ...it is hard for me to tell how much time it cost me because I was working on it over the span of 3 – 4 days…every time when kids, wife or work didn’t need my attention I was trying to add some life to this picture… :lol:

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

Beautiful job. Photoshop is one of the most confusing, complicated, and non-user friendly programs that I have ever had the displeasure to use. My hat is off to anyone who can attain this level of proficiency.

3 to 4 days to achieve that! Wow, that's a lot of work, you just gave me a reason NOT to become addicted to photoshop. I'll just send all my pictures to you. :rolleyes: I will say that you did a very impressive job on this, it looks great! thumbsup.gif

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Beautiful job. Photoshop is one of the most confusing, complicated, and non-user friendly programs that I have ever had the displeasure to use. My hat is off to anyone who can attain this level of proficiency.

:D LOL it's supposed to be that way, otherwise, they couldn't justify to price. But it is an awesome program!

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

Photoshop is one of the most confusing, complicated, and non-user friendly programs that I have ever had the displeasure to use.

It is all about job security Steve... :lol:

ps. thanks guys... thumbsup.gif

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

Hey we could always do our best with Crayons :lol: just try to stay in the lines ;)

Brandon Sivek "God Bless Texas, and these United States"

In loving memory: Great Cousin 2nd Lt. Louis E. Machala, B-17 Pilot

2nd Air Force, 331st BG, 461st BS

Killed near Glenrock, WY on Feb. 25, 1943 during night time practice bombing

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WW2 ARMY AIR FORCE FLIGHT GEAR

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

PROUD MEMBER OF THE COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FELLOW WINGNUT ASSOCIATION,

WINGNUTS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Thanks guys! Over the time I hope to get more pictures to work with... thumbsup.gif

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

Very Nice work on the photo. How much would that have cost if you had that done??? think.gifthink.gif

Nick

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Collecting Marine Raider Groups

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

Great coloring,

I've done that too, for the pics of my Grandpa.

I know it's not american, but i'm German, so was he.

But it fits the topic.

post-131-1212793726.jpg

Stephan

"Did Americans want heroes ? Well, we were willing at that point to be satisfied with survival."

Looking for 45th, 86th Infantry Division and 106th Cav items.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

Grandpa in Italy.

Regards,

Stephan

post-131-1212793844.jpg

"Did Americans want heroes ? Well, we were willing at that point to be satisfied with survival."

Looking for 45th, 86th Infantry Division and 106th Cav items.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

Ummm... that is just awesome!!! Well done guys. I should start sending photos your way!! jk....

-Ski

In Memory Of......
Pte Harold Griffiths, 1805, 1/6th Manchester Regt, KIA June 4th, 1915 in Gallipoli
Cpl Isaac Judges, 40494, 6th East Yorkshire Regt, KIA October 3rd, 1917 in Ypres
May they rest in peace.....

MSgt - USAF Retired

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Does anyone know how long it took someone back in the 1940s to do a hand coloring job on an 8 X 10 ?

I'm hoping to get the one shot of my grandfather I have colored. It's not the best quality picture, but I think it would look cool.

Amazing... it is really perfect job :thumbsup:

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Superb starter image. One of the better images I've seen digitally colorized. I started the thread on this at WAF and it's good to see one here.

I haven't done any allied colorizing but will give it a shot and post here.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

ASMIC Member 4598

I have the only known photo of my grandfather in uniform during WWII I need to get worked on.