Second World War Items 3d Army Named Soldier

bryang

Last year I happened upon an estate sale in Springfield TN, a couple miles from where I live. As my wife sought out things she likes, I found several uniforms which had belonged to the home owner (both members had passed away - at different times - and the surviving family was cleaning everything out).

There were some boxes filled with assorted documents - old bills and receipts, post cards, advertising, junk mail, etc ... I learned that what didn't sell among the papers would likely be tossed away. I sifted through and found out that the uniform belonged to a Mr Lee Roy Burchett, of Springfield Tennessee. He apparently had worked at Kroger Grocery in Tullahoma TN prior to being drafted into the military in late 1944.

I found Mr Burchett's Selective Service induction notice, as well as documentation related to his medical fitness, as well as his rifle marksmanship booklet. I found a guide booklet for Soldiers transitioning out of the service back to civilian life.

To me, however, I think the gem was his small pocket-sized bible, with hand-written inscription to him from his mother.

"To my Darling Lee, Hope you continue to be a good boy, for you have always been so good, smart and obedient, so still be a good boy & write to Mama - One loves you best of all. Pray to come home & remember Mama will be praying every day & nite for your safe return." The bible is dedicated "To Lee Roy Burchett, My darling boy ... From Mama, One who loves you" Dated January 2d 1945.

Among the documents were letters written to Mr Burchett by two friends who had entered the service earlier:

One, postmarked 22 September 1943, from William A Thickstan, Jr, detailed how mundane life was at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in which he wrote of the long hours he had to put in when assigned to KP duty. In the letter he mentioned that they were soon to be shipping out however he didn't know where to.

The second hand-written letter is dated September 26, 1943 and was written by Sergeant James E. Clark on Army Air Forces stationary. Sergeant wrote the letter from Salt Lake City Utah, where he had been training as part of a B-24 Liberator crew.

In the envelope were two newspaper clippings, the first a report about Sergeant Clark (assigned to 15th Air Force) learning that he was a father after returning from a bombing mission.

The second newspaper clipping hit me hard - like a kick in the stomach. The newspaper clipping detailed the death of Staff Sergeant Clark, who was killed in action during a bombing mission over Austria. The sentence that Staff Sergeant Clark was a new father to a two-month old son hit me hardest.

Other items I recovered were several photographs, one of Mr Burchett in what appear to be dark fatigues/dungarees, as well as a couple photos from some women friends. Of interest is one with A young woman wearing a two-piece revealing outfit ... "With Love, Mamie" On the back of the photo is the inscription "Lee - Be sure and don't let your wife find this picture Mamie"

I found a typed set of orders awarding several Soldiers the Army Good Conduct Medal. Mr Burchett has his name circled and has written "HaHa! Good Boy!"

The uniform jacket has the Third Army patch, and three ribbons pinned on separately: Good Conduct Medal, World War Two Victory Medal, ETO Medal (with two campaign stars). Expert Qualification Badge with Rifle and Carbine bars, and ordnance brass on the collar. The World War Two Service Device ("Ruptured Duck") appears to be an iron-on, which I'm not sure about.

Other items I got are a second set of trousers and two khaki shirts, one with Sergeant chevrons, which appear to be newer.

The newer stripes might be from service in the Army in the 1950's. Among the items I recovered out of the boxes of assorted papers was a large Valentine's Day card sent to Mrs Burchett ... However NOT from Mr Burchett! The card is postmarked February 1951, and was sent by a Sergeant Jimmy Oglesby. Possibly Mrs Burchett found the photo of Mamie?!

It seemed a crime to have let any of this stuff be tossed away, so I scooped it up and paid (I think) about $40 for everything.

I'll try to post as many photos as I have room to.post-152877-0-98721400-1399425609.jpgpost-152877-0-66542900-1399425633.jpgpost-152877-0-99610400-1399425647.jpg

Last year I happened upon an estate sale in Springfield TN, a couple miles from where I live. As my wife sought out things she likes, I found several uniforms which had belonged to the home owner (both members had passed away - at different times - and the surviving family was cleaning everything out).

There were some boxes filled with assorted documents - old bills and receipts, post cards, advertising, junk mail, etc ... I learned that what didn't sell among the papers would likely be tossed away. I sifted through and found out that the uniform belonged to a Mr Lee Roy Burchett, of Springfield Tennessee. He apparently had worked at Kroger Grocery in Tullahoma TN prior to being drafted into the military in late 1944.

I found Mr Burchett's Selective Service induction notice, as well as documentation related to his medical fitness, as well as his rifle marksmanship booklet. I found a guide booklet for Soldiers transitioning out of the service back to civilian life.

To me, however, I think the gem was his small pocket-sized bible, with hand-written inscription to him from his mother.

"To my Darling Lee, Hope you continue to be a good boy, for you have always been so good, smart and obedient, so still be a good boy & write to Mama - One loves you best of all. Pray to come home & remember Mama will be praying every day & nite for your safe return." The bible is dedicated "To Lee Roy Burchett, My darling boy ... From Mama, One who loves you" Dated January 2d 1945.

Among the documents were letters written to Mr Burchett by two friends who had entered the service earlier:

One, postmarked 22 September 1943, from William A Thickstan, Jr, detailed how mundane life was at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in which he wrote of the long hours he had to put in when assigned to KP duty. In the letter he mentioned that they were soon to be shipping out however he didn't know where to.

The second hand-written letter is dated September 26, 1943 and was written by Sergeant James E. Clark on Army Air Forces stationary. Sergeant wrote the letter from Salt Lake City Utah, where he had been training as part of a B-24 Liberator crew.

In the envelope were two newspaper clippings, the first a report about Sergeant Clark (assigned to 15th Air Force) learning that he was a father after returning from a bombing mission.

The second newspaper clipping hit me hard - like a kick in the stomach. The newspaper clipping detailed the death of Staff Sergeant Clark, who was killed in action during a bombing mission over Austria. The sentence that Staff Sergeant Clark was a new father to a two-month old son hit me hardest.

Other items I recovered were several photographs, one of Mr Burchett in what appear to be dark fatigues/dungarees, as well as a couple photos from some women friends. Of interest is one with A young woman wearing a two-piece revealing outfit ... "With Love, Mamie" On the back of the photo is the inscription "Lee - Be sure and don't let your wife find this picture Mamie"

I found a typed set of orders awarding several Soldiers the Army Good Conduct Medal. Mr Burchett has his name circled and has written "HaHa! Good Boy!"

The uniform jacket has the Third Army patch, and three ribbons pinned on separately: Good Conduct Medal, World War Two Victory Medal, ETO Medal (with two campaign stars). Expert Qualification Badge with Rifle and Carbine bars, and ordnance brass on the collar. The World War Two Service Device ("Ruptured Duck") appears to be an iron-on, which I'm not sure about.

Other items I got are a second set of trousers and two khaki shirts, one with Sergeant chevrons, which appear to be newer.

The newer stripes might be from service in the Army in the 1950's. Among the items I recovered out of the boxes of assorted papers was a large Valentine's Day card sent to Mrs Burchett ... However NOT from Mr Burchett! The card is postmarked February 1951, and was sent by a Sergeant Jimmy Oglesby. Possibly Mrs Burchett found the photo of Mamie?!

It seemed a crime to have let any of this stuff be tossed away, so I scooped it up and paid (I think) about $40 for everything.

I'll try to post as many photos as I have room to.attachicon.gifUniform - Jacket Belt & Trousers.JPGattachicon.gifInduction Documents.JPGattachicon.gifAssorted Mementos.JPG

post-152877-0-61341600-1399425753.jpgpost-152877-0-43681700-1399425766.jpgpost-152877-0-15289600-1399425777.jpg