WW2 German Tag Nameplate Question

JDK

Hello all,

Just curious if I could get a little help here. Any ideas what this tag would be from? It was brought home by a 15th AAF B-17 pilot and I forgot it was in the group. I came across it and wondered what it was off of. Any ideas?

Thanks, JD

post-2901-0-11812900-1399409187.jpg

post-2901-0-71169600-1399409199.jpg

loveofmylife89

Delta beat me too it, would have been a tag of a german plane possibly one he shot down himself or one they found at an airfield they took over.

501stGeronimo

Delta beat me too it, would have been a tag of a german plane possibly one he shot down himself or one they found at an airfield they took over.

Im sorry, but I dont think a B-17 pilot will be paying attention to where a plane when down, and then hunt it down to take the data plate...

Agreed....this likely came out of a wreck on one of the former Luftwaffe airfields used by the 15th Air Force....lots of GIs just wanted something with German (or Japanese) writing on it. I saw the same thing in the desert...people wanted something with Arabic written on it...it might just as well just said "Willy Wonka Works, Baghdad" and they still would've been happy with it.

Plus, data plates are easy to carry in your pocket..unlike those bulky lugers and German helmets!

Mark sends

loveofmylife89

Im sorry, but I dont think a B-17 pilot will be paying attention to where a plane when down, and then hunt it down to take the data plate...

i agree but one never knows, it clearly meant something to him. i mean why take that tag. It is a mystery that will remain unknown. But those are the first few things that came to my mind !!

501stGeronimo

Agreed....this likely came out of a wreck on one of the former Luftwaffe airfields used by the 15th Air Force....lots of GIs just wanted something with German (or Japanese) writing on it. I saw the same thing in the desert...people wanted something with Arabic written on it...it might just as well just said "Willy Wonka Works, Baghdad" and they still would've been happy with it.

Plus, data plates are easy to carry in your pocket..unlike those bulky lugers and German helmets!

Mark sends

But boy...their value makes up for their bulkiness!! :D

Thank you for the information everyone! I figured it must have been taken off a German plane, but was not sure. I suppose there is no way to figure out what kind of Aircraft this came off of?

Thanks again, JD