Matching Marine Buttons

Bwormuth

Moderators, if this is this isn't in the right place. If so, please move it. Thanks a million!

With that, I have a question:

I just got this Korea War uniform and noticed that one of the buttons is not right (Bottom button in the photo). It looks like the original button fell off at some point. I can find the same (or close enough) button for sale on eBay. I don't think that it will have the right patina to it, though. I'm fine paying for the button, but I don't want to put it on and then have it not match.

I think it would look okay if I shined up the buttons already on the jacket. Is this not good to do, though? I don't want to take away from the value of the jacket.

Also, this is my first marine uniform. I'm not sure if these or a dime a dozen or really rare. With that said, if someone has a button like this, shoot me a PM. I'd always prefer the original!

Thanks!

post-109143-0-60518800-1399336948.jpeg

Bruce Linz

Hello,

I think your jacket is just fine the way it is. It was issued that way. The plain flat button is hidden by a cloth belt with a brass buckle. It allows for a neater, flatter appearance. You are missing the the belt, the belt loop, and the belt buckle. Finding a matching belt may be a challenge. I recommend you leave the other buttons alone. Marines don't polish the buttons on the service green uniform.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz