2nd Ranger Battalion

Ranger-Cpt

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but please find some info on what we (NORMANDY44) do and some pictures.

I've been reenacting the 2nd Rangers Battalion since pre SPR and I've always been proud to represent such a courageous unit. Our group has very strong uniform regulations and believe the key to looking like a unit is uniformity. I know that later in the war things would have changed drastically what with new guys coming in and kit and equipment being replaced but we still like to look similar and like a military unit. We portray this unit from D-Day right through to the end of the war and for later impressions we utilise our Two M24 Chaffee tanks. As many Rangers reenactors will know the 2nd Battalion received special training in early 45 in order to work with the 102nd Cavalry as a sort of strike force. The 102nd Cavalry were issued their M24's between Feb-March and the Rangers travelled on these vehicles until contact was made and sometimes remained on the tanks while engaged. There's some after action reports of several Rangers being killed on board one 10nd Cav Chaffee whilst it was pursing fleeing Germans. I believe it was hit with a Panzerfaust or something larger. Here's some pictures of the group in action as I believe a picture can say more than a thousand words.

p3.jpg

p37.jpg

scruit4.jpg

p19.jpg

y19.jpg

Great pics. thumbsup.gif

They look good with that armor.

did they have any blacks / afro americans in the Rangers? in the movie Saving Pvt Ryan , I dont recall seeing any minorities at all?

except for the soldier "Private Caparzo" played by actor Vin Diesel, but he didnt portray a black person, he's of mixed italian and african heritage, but he portrayed a italian american.

Hi Dale,

Welcome to the forum, it`s nice to see you here.

Steve (formely Ranger-PFC).

Ranger-Cpt

Thanks for the welcome Si and Steve.

Bolo, there were no African Americans in the Rangers in WW2 as far as I'm aware. They were very selective and pulled in mostly seasoned troops from other units. For instance a Sgt in the Military Police had to lose his rank and join the Rangers as a private.